Home | Legal Advice | Divorce Cases | Mutually agreed Divorce

Mutually agreed Divorce

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

My daughter & Son-in-Law are not finding compatible with each other for the last few years and are on the verge of breaking. They are married strictly as per the customary practice of Lingayat community (Fully discussed in the Supreme Court decision referred below) duly performed by a community priest.

My advocate advised that the Supreme Court in a recent decision rendered in the case of Shakunthala Bai and another Vs. L.V. Kulkarni and another reported in AIR 1989 S.C. Page 1359 has upheld the customary divorce prevailing in Panchamasali Sub-sect of Lingayat community, hence they can take divorce, or dissolve their marriage as per their custom without recourse to the Court of Law.

It is well established by a catena of judgments of the supreme court and many High courts that customary divorce is legally valid if the prevalence of such customary divorce, in the community to which parties belong, is fully established [Subramani And Ors vs M. Chandralekha AIR 2005 SC].

The customary divorce takes its validity from section 29(2) of Hindu Marriage Act as “Nothing contained in this Act shall be deemed to affect any right recognized by custom or conferred by any special enactment to obtain the dissolution of a Hindu Marriage, whether solemnized before or after the commencement of this Act.”

Yamanaji H. Jadhav v. Nirmala, [2002] 2 SCC 637; Supreme Court held that “Public policy, good morals and the interests of society were considered to require and ensure that, if at all, severance should be allowed only in the manner and for the reason or cause specified in law, with only exception where it is recognized by custom.” If a custom prevails in the community which provides an alternate process of divorce which is not contrary to the law of the land is valid.

Shakuntalabai And Anr. vs L.V. Kulkarni And Anr AIR 1989 SC 1359; in this case, the issue was the validity of customary dissolution of marriage as per the custom of “Udiki form of marriage”. Supreme court upheld the custom of Udiki prevalent in Panchamasale sect of Lingayat community.

You may go with the custom and prepare a divorce deed. Such deed should be signed by the parties to the marriage in presence of two witnesses and thereupon get registration of the deed. Such deed is legally valid and acceptable in every court as evidence of dissolution of marriage.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to...

Mother is taking custody of children from father

Question: My wife is living apart. She is living with her paramour and happy with him. I have two children, both are sons. Now the mother is taking custody of the children from the father. It is a very painful situation for me. Both sons are minor and very happy with...

How can I get a copy of divorce decree?

Question: How can I get a copy of divorce decree? What should I do if my husband has solemnised second marriage? I have been living separately from my husband for two years. He has solemnised a second marriage and is living with that lady. When I knew about it I...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.