Legal Advice

Mutation of government land occupied by parent on lease

Question: We have a lease deed land from govt. Our father had expired and he had the possession on the land but construction is not done. Our mother has also expired. As legal heir me and my sister wants build one house of our own with housing plan. We do not want to do mutation. As we both are the only legal heirs. So if we get a housing plan shall we construct a house of our own. please advise.


The term “mutation” typically refers to the process of updating land records to reflect changes in ownership or occupancy. When government land is leased to individuals or entities, any subsequent changes, such as transfer of lease or change in occupancy, may require a mutation of the land records.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow