Home | Legal Advice | Maintenance Cases | Muslim woman needs enhancement of maintenance

Muslim woman needs enhancement of maintenance

A divorced Muslim woman has been receiving maintenance from her husband, but the amount of maintenance is insufficient. The court ordered for maintenance in the year 2006. Now she is facing financial hardship. How can enhance maintenance under section 125 crpc?

Question from: Rajasthan

You can move an application before the Magistrate’s court under section 127 of the code of criminal procedure (crpc) for modification of maintenance order. Section 127 crpc empowers the Magistrate to alter the quantum of maintenance as he thinks fit in the circumstances of the case.

The law of maintenance contained in Section 125 – 128 crpc, apply to one and all irrespective religion. Thus, it is equally applicable to a Muslim woman if she remains unmarried after the divorce. If maintenance becomes insufficient, you can approach the court for modification of maintenance order under section 127 crpc.

Insufficient maintenance

You can move application only if you can prove that alimony is becoming inadequate in the current circumstances. If circumstances have changed and his wife became destitute or living in hardship, then the court is empowered to enhance the amount of alimony as he thinks fit.

There is no bar of maximum limit regarding enhancement of maintenance. The court has full discretion to enhance the quantum of support according to the factual position of the case. What is the basic need of a wife to maintain her living standard? The court considers the above question for the determination of enhancement of maintenance.

If you fail to maintain the living standard which the other woman of your husband’s family has been living then definitely your maintenance may be increased.

Lawyer’s advice

Maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage

Question: I want to know whether maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage is possible. I got married on 20 Nov 2019. Now we want to get separated by mutual consent. My wife is a B. Tech. & MBA but did not make any serious attempt to get a job. At...

A maintenance order without hearing the husband is void

The court cannot pass a maintenance order under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc) without hearing or giving the opportunity of hearing to the husband. If the court did so, it has breached the principle of natural justice. The husband should file an application under section 126 crpc for setting aside that order. There is a period of limitation for filing of such an application u/s 126 crpc

How to get stay order against section 125 CrPC

The maintenance order passed under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure is tentative in nature. The court may stay the maintenance order passed under section 125 crpc if wife already getting alimony under section 24 HMA.

Minor daughter can claim maintenance under section 125 crpc

I am fifteen years old and living with my married sister. A minor daughter can claim maintenance against her father if he does not provide fooding, lodging and education fee etc. My father contracted second marriage after my mother's death. He has a son out of that...

Notice under section 128 crpc

I have received a notice under section 128 crpc. My wife filed a maintenance case under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. The court has passed final order in that case to pay rupees seven thousand per month as a maintenance. This is too high maintenance...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.