Legal Advice

Muslim woman can seek divorce if her husband is willing to live with her

Question: My wife is not willing to live with me but I love her much. She wants divorce but I am refusing. Can my wife invoke the provisions of Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act, 1939 for getting divorce if husband is not willing to divorcer his wife?


Under the Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act, 1939, a Muslim woman has the right to seek a divorce if she meets certain conditions. Even if the husband is not willing to divorce his wife, the wife can initiate divorce proceedings under the Act if:

  1. The husband has neglected or has failed to provide for her maintenance for a period of two years.
  2. The husband has been sentenced to imprisonment for a period of seven years or more.
  3. The husband has failed to perform his marital obligations for a period of three years without any reasonable cause.

If your wife fulfills any of these conditions, she can seek a divorce under the provisions of the Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act, 1939, even if you are not willing to divorce her. It’s important to note that the Act provides women with the right to initiate divorce in specific circumstances to protect their rights and well-being.

The Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act, 1939, is a legislative act in India that provides for the grounds on which a Muslim woman can seek the dissolution of her marriage. The act primarily focuses on protecting the rights of Muslim women in matters of divorce. Here are some of the salient features and provisions of the Dissolution of Muslim Marriage Act, 1939:

  1. Grounds for Divorce: The act outlines specific grounds on which a Muslim woman can seek a divorce. These grounds include the husband’s neglect or failure to provide maintenance, his imprisonment for a significant period, or his failure to perform marital obligations without reasonable cause.
  2. Maintenance Provision: The act allows the court to order the husband to provide maintenance to his wife during the course of the divorce proceedings.
  3. Jurisdiction: The wife can file a petition for divorce in the court that has territorial jurisdiction over the area where she resides.
  4. Rights of Women: The act is primarily aimed at protecting the rights and interests of Muslim women, ensuring that they have legal recourse in situations where they face difficulties in their marriage.
  5. No Absolute Right: The act does not grant an absolute right to divorce for the wife but provides specific grounds and procedures for seeking a divorce.
  6. Codification of Muslim Law: The act represents an attempt to codify certain aspects of Muslim personal law related to divorce, providing a legal framework for divorce among Muslims in India.
  7. Remedies for Wife: The act provides remedies for Muslim wives who are facing hardship within their marriages and offers them a legal path to seek divorce and financial support.
  8. Dissolution of Marriage: Upon satisfaction of the specified conditions and grounds, the court may grant a decree of dissolution of the marriage, thereby ending the marital relationship.

In India, as in many other countries, gender bias can be observed in various aspects of divorce proceedings, including those involving Muslims. This bias can be attributed to a combination of social, cultural, and legal factors, and it may affect both men and women differently. Here are some key points to consider:

  1. Triple Talaq: One of the most significant issues in the context of gender bias in Muslim divorces was the practice of “triple talaq” (instant divorce) where a husband could divorce his wife by uttering “talaq” thrice. This practice was widely criticized for its potential misuse and harm to women. The Indian government passed a law in 2019 that criminalized the practice of triple talaq, aiming to protect Muslim women from arbitrary divorces.
  2. Maintenance and Alimony: In some cases, there can be disparities in the amount of maintenance or alimony awarded to women after divorce. While the law provides for maintenance, women may face challenges in enforcing these rights.
  3. Custody of Children: The issue of custody of children after divorce can also exhibit gender bias. In many cases, the mother is granted custody, but the father has a role in the child’s upbringing as well.
  4. Legal Procedures and Delay: Delays and complexities in the legal system can disproportionately affect women, making it harder for them to access their rights. This can be especially burdensome for women who may not be as familiar with legal processes.
  5. Social and Family Pressure: Muslim women may face social and familial pressure to reconcile with their husbands or to not pursue divorce, even in situations of hardship.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.

Alleged Forgery and Misrepresentation: Discrepancies in BPCL Petrol Pump’s Diesel Storage Reported to PESO

Petroleum & Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO) issues license to Bharat Petroleum Corporation’s petrol pumps for storage of Petrol/Diesel. A petrol pump of BPCL illegally filled diesel in a tanker beyond the permissible limits for which a complaint was lodged by me with PESO. PESO asked for an explanation. In its reply, the BPCL officer under reported the quantity of diesel filled in the tanker and in support of his claim, submitted a forged sales data which was prepared after deleting sales entries from the computerised records. The fact that the sales data was forged was brought to the notice of PESO by me after PESO shared BPCL’s reply with me. PESO again questioned BPCL to which they confirmed that their dealer had deleted entries from the data. Subsequently, PESO has written to the police to take action under the Petroleum Act according to which the offence is bailable whereas I am asking PESO to file an FIR since forgery of data, preparation of a false document and its use as a genuine one is a serious offence under the IPC. The PESO officer refuses to do so. Is he right in not filing an FIR ? Am I unjustified in demanding an FIR in the matter ?