Paid Advise

Mud road on my land :  How to get it back?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Government has laid a mud road on my land a few years ago. I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to me. We do not know about this. How to get my land back? I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to me. Can I put a fence in the middle of the road?

Asked from: Andhra Pradesh

The government cannot build a mud road on private land. If it is still your land then you should file a civil suit against the government for the possession of land and permanent injunction. First you should file an application to the Tehsildar for the measurement of your land. 

The measurement is necessary to find out where your land is situated. If the Tehsildar demarcates your land in the area of mud road then it shall prima facie prove that the mud road is made on your land. 

Thereafter, you should send a legal notice to the government under Section 80 of the code of civil procedure. In the said notice you should demand from the government to transfer your land with compensation (mesne profit). The government will compensate you because it has been taking illegal possession on your land. 

If the government does not act to your notice within 60 days then you should file a civil suit. Notice under Section 80 code of civil procedure is mandatory in the suit against the government. 

You cannot put a fence on government land despite that it is your land. The public road prima facie proves that it is government land. Now the burden of proof lies upon you to prove that it is your land. Unless you discharge this burden you cannot interfere in the government road. 

Hence you should wait till the decision of the court. If the court passes a decree in your favour and declares that it is your land then you are entitled to get possession. After taking possession you can use this land for any legal purpose.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?

Question: Whether Tehsildar is competent authority to issue succession certificate to collect life insurance policy. My father's insurance policy claim is matured and we are the legal heirs to collect that amount. Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?...

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender

Question: I am a contractor and have some tenders in BHEL. The Bhel has forfeited earnest money because I have withdrawn a tender. So I want to know whether forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender is legal in India. BHEL has published tenders for the...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.