Home | Legal Advice | Marriage law | Marriage against the consent of parents

Marriage against the consent of parents

Estimated Reading Time:

If the bridegroom is 21 years and bride is 22 and they want to marry against the consent of their parents. What will be the cause for this? Can they marry?

Question from: Andhra Pradesh

Section 5 of the Hindu Marriage Act does not forbid a marriage if it has been solemnised against the consent of parents. If the age of the bridegroom is above 21 years and bride is above 18 years they can solemnise their marriage with their own consent. The consent of parents is not necessary or mandatory for such a marriage. 

Consent of parents is not mandatory

Right to choose a life partner is now a fundamental right. The Supreme Court has held in the Shakti Vahini Case that the right to marry a person of one’s choice is a fundamental right under Article 21, 19(1)(a) and 14 of the Constitution of India.

Recently the Supreme Court has held that the consent of the family or community or clan was not necessary when two adults agree to marry each other.

In the Laxmibai Chandaragi case the Supreme Court has opined that the choice of an individual is an inextricable part of dignity, for dignity cannot be thought of where there is erosion of choice. 

In Asha Ranjan v. State of Bihar (2017) 4 SCC 397; the Supreme Court has held that the right or choice is not is not expected to succumb to the concept of “class honour” or “group thinking”. Justice K.S. Puttaswamy v. Union of India once again the apex court opined that the autonomy of an individual inter alia in relation to family and marriage is integral to the dignity of the individual.

It is thus evident that adult men and women have the right to solemnise their marriage as per their wish and consent of parents is not mandatory at all. You can solemnise marriage without the consent of parents. If your parents initiate any false criminal proceeding like FIR for abduction then you should approach the High Court. The High Court will quash such proceeding on the ration of Lata Singh v. State of U.P., (2006) 5 SCC 475. You will get proper police protection if the threats are imminent.

Latest Advice

Wife had sexual relations with a guy before the marriage

There is a girl who was live in relationship from last 2 years. She married a person and after marriage disclosed this fact. Her husband filed a petition under section 12(1) of HMA and a case of breach of trust and cheating was also filed against her. What are the...

Marriage when age of bridegroom is below 21 years

I want to solemnise marriage but age of bridegroom is below 21 years. We are in a relationship for past 4 years. And we decide to get married. But the girl's family doesn't allow her to do so. They First emotionally black mailed her. But she doesn't listen to them....

Can I live in relationship with a married person?

Question: Can I live in a relationship with a married person who does not live with his wife? I love him a lot. Actually, we were wet on a dating website. I want to know whether our relationship will be valid? Can I enforce those rights available to married...

Married Hindu can marry a Muslim girl without divorce

Bigamy is banned by Section 5 of the Hindu Marriage Act. This section mandates that the marriage of a Hindu is void if he has a spouse living at the time of the marriage. If a married Hindu contracts Nikah with a Muslim girl with or without conversion, the Nikah will be void and he shall be prosecuted under Section 494 IPC for the offence of bigamy.

My sister in law hates my love affair

Personal view or observation of a person does not constitute domestic violence. The proceeding under Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act cannot be initiated against the sister in law who is protesting the marriage of her sister in law with her brother. Such a protest does not amount to mental abuse defined under the DV Act.

I want to marry with my boyfriend at any cost

Marriage is a personal decision of a person. No one can force him to marry if he does not want to. In the Shakti Vahini case the Supreme Court has held that the right to choose a life partner is a fundamental right and no one can compel an adult person to marry with a particular person or a person of his choice.

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.