Paid Advise

Marriage after divorce from first wife is valid

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Family Law | Marriage

Reading Time:

My friend is planning to marriage after divorce from his first wife. His wife is also ready for divorce. They have been living separate from five years. My friend is living in USA and his wife in India. He loves a lady who is a citizen of UK. She is a bachelor and working with him in USA. Both are working in the same company. How to contract second marriage?

Question from: Mumbai

He can solemnise marriage but after divorce from his first wife. If he contracts marriage in USA without taking divorce from his first wife, he will commit offence of bigamy. However, he is living in USA but the personal law & IPC will also apply on him.

File mutual consent divorce

His wife is also ready for divorce so he should file a suit for mutual consent divorce. Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act provides procedure to get mutual divorce. This is an agreement between the spouses to end their marriage. They can settle their matrimonial disputes and obligations with mutual consent. Free consent of parties are mandatory for mutual consent divorce. That free consent should remain till the decree of the court. If any party withdraws his/her consent then the court will dismiss your case.

Therefore, your friend should talk to his wife and prepare an agreement. That agreement should contain all the terms and conditions regarding matrimonial and legal issues. Custody of child, maintenance, transfer of movable & immovable properties are important issues which should be settled down before filing of divorce case.

Marriage after divorce

Divorce is mandatory to end nuptial knot between the husband and wife. Thereafter, they are free to solemnise their marriage after divorce. They cannot contract marriage before passing of decree of the court. Decree is mandatory because it declares the marital status of spouses. When the court has declared the divorce then they become eligible to contract the remarriage.

Appeal does not allow against the decree of mutual consent. So, parties can solemnise marriage immediately after the decree. If a party files an appeal on the ground of fraud and court admits that appeal then opposite party cannot solemnise his/her marriage. In this condition he should wait till the final decision of the appellate court.


Hindu Marriage Act (HMA) does not bar remarriage after divorce. The provisions of Section 5 of the HMA make it clear that marriage of a divorced Hindu is valid. That section requires no spouse living at the time of marriage. This is one of the essential conditions of a valid Hindu marriage. The legal character and status of wife-husband comes to end after divorce. Therefore, after the divorce they are free to solemnise their marriage.

Second marriage

There is misconception about re-marriage and second marriage. Marriage after dissolution of marriage is called remarriage. This is a valid marriage and does not ensue any legal complication. Whereas, Solemnisation of marriage in subsistence of a valid marriage is called second marriage. It is an offence of bigamy and a punishable act in Indian Penal Code (IPC). Section 494 and in some condition section 495 make bigamy an offence.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? 

Question: What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? My girlfriend is engaged with another person without informing me, now I want to marry her, but she moved on. What I can do in this situation shall I approach the groom to convince.  Asked from: Uttar Pradesh...

Marriage in young age valid or invalid

Question: Marriage in young age valid or invalid. My question is that if a family has married their children at a young age, then their marriage will be valid? If the children have grown up later then it's gonna be valid later? Or else it won't be valid because the...

Will my husband get baby boy custody?

Question: I got married on 3rd march 2020. I have a one year old baby boy. My husband is an alcoholic smoker, drug abuser, ganja addict. He is always there in fights, he even has a sword and gun, he beats me and even has extramarital affairs. Now I have left his house...

My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair

Question: My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair. He sent a message to my husband that I have an affair but later he realised and asked sorry, but husband using that message in court to prove I have affair what to do? Asked from: Karnataka I think...

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

Girl’s family is threatening for love jihad case

Question: My friend is muslim he loves hindu girl. Girl’s family is threatening for love jihad case so he want to convert to hindu religion. He loves that girl and agreed to change his religion. Now he is afraid that the girl’s family may file a case against him and...

How can I leave my husband’s home without his consent?

Question: Hello, I have been married for 6 yrs. And my in-laws have been demanding for more dowry. How can I leave my husband’s home without his consent? The gold gifted during my marriage is in my father in laws custody. Well I did not encourage more dowry and hence...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.