Paid Advise

Maintenance when my wife is living separately with my son

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Family Law | Maintenance

Reading Time:

Question: Sir, my wife is living Separately with my child. I have no property in my name. All properties are in the name of my father. I am only paying bills & other expenses because I am living with my parents. When my wife left my house I transferred forty thousand rupees in her account for the general expenses of my son. I don’t want to pay maintenance when my wife is living separately with my son. Should I have to pay maintenance in the dv case? She has filed a case against me. 

Asked from: Maharashtra

If your wife has no sufficient reason to live separately she cannot claim maintenance. Section 125(4) specifically bars such a claim when the wife has no good reason to live apart from the husband. Law does not permit a guilty wife to receive maintenance from her husband while she is neglecting to perform her matrimonial obligations. 

When wife is not entitled to claim maintenance

No wife shall be entitled to receive an allowance for the maintenance or the interim maintenance and expenses of proceeding, as the case may be, from her husband under this section if:

  1. She is living in adultery, or 
  2. Without any sufficient reason, she refuses to live with her husband, or 
  3. If they are living separately by mutual consent.

You should move an application under Section 125(4) crpc and pray from the court to dismiss her case. Upon receiving your application the court will seek evidence from your wife to satisfy the court that she has good cause or reason to live separately. If your wife fails to satisfy the court her case will be dismissed. 

Sufficient reason for living separately

If she has sufficient reason for living separately then you have to pay maintenance. It does not matter that you have no source of income or do not possess any property. She is claiming share in your property but she has exercising her right i.e. right to maintenance. It is the paramount or utmost responsibility of the husband to maintain his wife and children. You cannot absolve yourself from such a liability. 


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? 

Question: What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? My girlfriend is engaged with another person without informing me, now I want to marry her, but she moved on. What I can do in this situation shall I approach the groom to convince.  Asked from: Uttar Pradesh...

Increasing maintenance in mutual consent divorce

Question: Can I claim for increasing maintenance in mutual consent divorce? Whether maintenance granted under consent terms in mutual divorce can be directly enhanced under 127 crpc without any order under 125 crpc.  Asked from: Goa The decree of mutual consent...

Will my husband get baby boy custody?

Question: I got married on 3rd march 2020. I have a one year old baby boy. My husband is an alcoholic smoker, drug abuser, ganja addict. He is always there in fights, he even has a sword and gun, he beats me and even has extramarital affairs. Now I have left his house...

My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair

Question: My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair. He sent a message to my husband that I have an affair but later he realised and asked sorry, but husband using that message in court to prove I have affair what to do? Asked from: Karnataka I think...

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Wife filed false case of rape on my brother

Question: Date (July -21) - After one month, she filed section 125 and demanded 25 lakh (They spent on marriage around 2 to 2.5 Lacs Maximum) Date (Aug -21) - Then I filed a case under section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act. Wife filed false case of rape on my...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.