Paid Advise

Magistrate refused to grant custody from Nari Niketan

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Criminal Law

Reading Time:

Question: My child has fallen in love with her tutor. She is a minor and the teacher is a married person. All this has happened due to immaturity of my daughter and instigation from the teacher. When the police recovered she was produced to the Magistrate. The Magistrate has sent her to Nari Niketan. I want her custody but the Magistrate has refused to grant custody of my child from Nari Niketan. What should I do to take custody of my child?

Question from: Rajasthan

You did not mention why the Magistrate has refused to grant custody of your child from Nari Niketan? It is a criminal case. I think you should have lodged an FIR under Section 363, 366 of the Indian Penal Code and Section 3 & 4 of the POCSO Act.

The Magistrate has given your child in the custody of Nari Niketan. There were indeed some valid reasons to do so. The investigating officer would have brought her to the Magistrate for recording of her statement under Section 164 of the code of criminal procedure. 

The Magistrate thought, on the perusal of her statement, that Nari Niketen would be a safe place for your child. This might be the reason for refusal of your application for custody of the child.

Each order of the Magistrate has some valid reasons. However, you did not mention anything about the grounds of refusal but I think that your daughter, in the statement under Section 164 crpc, might have refused to go to her home. 

Remedy when magistrate has refused to grant custody of child

There are some facts in your favour and they will constitute valid grounds to challenge the order of the Magistrate. Your daughter is a minor girl, she eloped with her tuition master (accused). The tuition master is a married person. 

In this situation, it is neither good to keep her in Nari Niketan nor send in the custody of the accused. Therefore, in the interest of justice, the parents of the child should get her custody. 

The Magistrate has overlooked these facts and has refused to grant custody of child to her parents. These facts render the current custody illegal. The Nari Niketan is not a proper place of custody for a minor girl if her parents are ready to take her custody.  

Custody of minor children is a sensitive issue. It is also a matter involving sentimental attachment. Such a matter is to be approached and tackled carefully.

R.V. Srinath Prasad vs. Nandamuri Jayakrishna, (2001) 4 SCC 71

A minor girl, however, should not be given in the custody of a married person who has illegally taken her away from the lawful custody of parents. Your daughter has not attained enough maturity to understand the consequences of her act. Therefore, refusal to grant custody of your child from Nari Niketan is illegal. When a person has been in illegal custody the writ of habeas corpus is maintainable.

Welfare of minor to be paramount consideration for deciding minor’s custody

Lekha vs. P. Anil Kumar, 2007 (66) ALR 150 (SC)

The High Court, in its writ jurisdiction under Article 226 of the Constitution of India, can quash the order of Magistrate. At the same time, the High Court may order or direct to transfer the custody of the child from the Nari Niketan to her parents. You should file a writ petition to get custody of your child from the Nari Niketan.

Read also: How to take custody of my daughter from Nari Niketan?


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Quashing of first information report (FIR)

Question: I want the quashing of the first information report (FIR). A false first information report FIR has been lodged against me by the university. There are three students who are working on a project in association with me. I am the senior most of them hence,...

Threatening woman on revealing the truth to family 

Question: A man is threatening a woman on revealing the truth to her family. I'm a husband. I'm writing this for my wife. She had an affair with a person and she also helped him with money in his difficult time without informing me. Few days back she apologised...

In 498A, will my family get arrested?

Question: In 498A, will my family get arrested? My wife has filed a false case against my family. She wanted to marry her friend but due to pressure from her father she married me. There is no fault from my side but due to the whim of my wife my family is facing...

Can I file a complaint against the family court?

Question: Can I file a complaint against the family court? Asked from: Kerala You can file a complaint against the sitting subordinate court judge for his misconduct or dishonest conduct in dealing lawsuits. But you must have credible and clinching evidence to prove...

Section 383 Indian Penal Code: Extortion

Section 383: Extortion Whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishonestly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property or valuable security or anything signed or sealed which...

My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend 

Question: My sister was in a relationship for 7 yrs and after that she decided to part ways with boyfriend due to some issues. My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend. She was informed this in 2020 and after that asked him not to contact him. He visited...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.