Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | Long term capital gain tax in selling old house

Long term capital gain tax in selling old house

Estimated Reading Time:

There was a house in the name of my grandfather. He made a will and gave life interest in the property in the favour of our mother, thereafter her death it was vested in us with the absolute right.

According to will we are empowered to sell it or use it any legal manner. To use of the property we have decided to sell it to another person and buy another flat for each of us in separate use.

We made an agreement in the year 2008 for sell of this house in Rs 4 crore. We got 2.5 crores as earnest money and we bought three separate flats and gave 25% booking amount out of that earnest money.

But sale completed in 2011, we were unable to execute that agreement due to some technicalities. Now I received a notice from Income tax department that I have hot utilised that amount within 2 years from the date of sell.

Income out of the sell of the old house is included in the head of income from house property if they sell amount did not utilise within 2 years from the date of transfer of property. The word “transfer” is defined in two acts in different intentions. The Transfer of property act defined transfer in term of actual transfer of property but income tax act defines it in a different term.

According to section 2 (47) of the Income-tax Act, the transfer takes place when any right in respect of any capital assets is extinguished and that right is transferred to someone. it would amount to transfer of a capital asset. Section 54 of the Income-tax Act provides an exemption of tax on long term capital gain. according to section 54, no tax is levied on the income of capital gain when the total gain is reinvested in purchase or construction of the house before 1 year or within 2 years from the date of transfer of property.

In your case property is transferred on the date when you agreed to sell because on that day you received earnest money and signed an agreement. Signing or executing an agreement to sell property created a right in the favour of vendee and vendor is restrained from selling that property to someone else because vendee has the legitimate right in the property and he can execute it through the specific performance of a contract. [Oxford university press vs CIT 2001; 3SCC].

The transfer is completed on the date of agreement to sell. It does not matter that complete transfer takes effect after three years. You should contact a lawyer and submit your reply to the notice. You are eligible to get exemption of long term capital gain tax under section 54.

Latest Advice

How much share do I get in my father’s property?

My father has died but my mother is alive. I have 5 sisters and we have 4 brothers. Among them 2 sisters and 1 brother are below the age of 18. My father had owned 9 acres of land but he died without any will. And my mother owns 1 acre of land. How much share do I get...

Tenant has promised to clear the dues shortly

I rented my house in March 2021 through a rental agreement. Police verification was done at that time but I couldn't collect the same because of being out of Station due to Corona. Now the man of property dealer who had dealt with this case has all of sudden left the...

Tenant has not been paying rent – Eviction of tenant

My tenant has not been paying rent since November 2019. I am a 68 year old person from Visakhapatnam. I gave my shop on rent to a person for tailoring. He paid the rent for the last time in Aug 2019 through phonepe. From Nov 2019 he stopped paying current bills also....

Tenant owns a house in the same city: Eviction of tenant

Question: Our father had purchased three houses together in a colony, more than 50 years ago. Two on the ground floor, in which we were already living there on rent. And One house is on top of these two houses. A tenant family was on rent, the time we purchased it....

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.