Paid Advise

Limitation period for setting aside sale of ancestral property

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

33507 Advices

41371 Consultations

Reading Time:

Question:What is the limitation period for setting aside the sale of the ancestral property? My father sold ancestral property against the consent of my family. I was minor at the time of sale. Can I file any suit for cancellation of that sale deed?

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

If a son, desires to set aside the sale of the ancestral property, he should file a civil suit for cancellation of the sale deed. The limitation period for filing of such suit is twelve years when the buyer takes possession of the property. The limitation period starts from the date when buyer takes possession on the basis of a sale deed.

If the son was a minor at the time of sale, he could file the said suit within three years after attaining the age of eighteen years. According to article 60 of the Indian limitation act, a minor person should file such suit within three years from the date when he attained the age of majority, i.e. age of eighteen years.

The Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act of 1956

If a guardian has appointed by the court for the minor child then his age of majority will consider on twenty-one years. Therefore, he can file the civil suit after attaining the age of twenty-one year.

In your case, you were minor at the time when your mother alienated the ancestral property. Your mother was the guardian so by virtue of section 6 of the Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act. According to it, the mother becomes the natural guardian of minor after the death of his father. Hence, the limitation period for filing such suit is three years from the attaining the age of eighteen years.

Karta has the power to file a civil suit

You said that at the time of alleged alienation your age was twenty years and your younger brother’s age was fifteen years. In this situation, you could file the suit at the time of execution of sale deed.

However, a Karta or managing member of the joint Hindu family has the right to file such a suit. A son becomes Karta of the HUF after attaining the age of majority. Therefore, rights and power of Karta in respect of HUF was vested in you at the time of sale. You mother had no right to sell the joint family property without your consent. Such transfer of property is illegal and void.

You should immediately file such suit because you as a “Karta” has the right to initiate the legal proceeding for setting aside of sale deed.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can mental illness put a bar on holding sensitive posts?

Question: Can a patient of mental illness who is on regular medication become a member and chairman of child welfare, women welfare, juvenile justice board and handle such sensitive matters? Can mental illness put a bar on holding sensitive posts?  Asked from:...

Encroachment of the public paved road

Question: There is an encroachment of the public paved road. Can anyone occupy a 60-year-old paved public road by saying that this has been made wrong? What is the legality of the road in Indian law?  Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Public road is a public property...

How to get back money from my younger brother?

Question: How to get back money from my younger brother?. Younger brother demanded money from the older brother and gave some amount to him without any  paperwork. If the younger brother ignores or does not return the money, what action will the older brother take ?...

Section 38 of Specific Relief Act 1963

Section 38 Specific Relief Act Perpetual injunctions when granted (1) Subject to the other provisions contained in or referred to by this Chapter a perpetual injunction may be granted to the plaintiff to prevent the breach of an obligation existing in his favour,...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.