Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law | Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Civil Law

Reading Time:

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him?

Asked from: Maharashtra

You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal address for providing rent receipt. If he does not reply to your notice or refuses to give the rent receipt then you can file a complaint against him.

When you file a complaint you admit the title of landlord and your capacity as a tenant. Therefore, in future no dispute will arise regarding status of both parties.

You can file a complaint in the court of the rent controller and deposit your rent in his court. The rent controller will serve a notice on the landlord and invite his reply. If the landlord appears the rent controller shall direct him to furnish rent receipt to the tenant i.e complainant.

You can deposit the rent in the court if the landlord does not appear in the pursuance of notice. whenever, the landlord appears the court will transfer the entire amount of rent in his bank account.

Ask A Question

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

I offer legal advice and representation in various fields of law, such as Criminal, Civil, Writ, Matrimonial, Service matters, Property, Revenue and SARFAESI related cases. I have experience in handling complex and challenging cases with diligence and professionalism.

Also Read

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.