Land reacquired under land acquisition act


Question asked on: 01/05/2016

Our land was acquired by the government in year 2000 and compensation was also paid. But after 4 years we regained our land by the order of the court, acquired lands were not utilised by the government for the purpose it were acquired. Now the government again published notification for land acquisition in year 2014 and acquired our land.

We got permission from the government towards use of land. We are cultivating our lands. Can government again acquire our land which were released in our favour ? some parts of the land are taken separate for buildings and accommodation for companies. It is purely private use instead of public use. Our case had dismissed in lower court against this acquisition. Can we get relief from the high court ?

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh,

Land acquisition is an executive act and it is performed by the government. According to the land acquisition act, land shall be acquired for the larger public interest only. What is the larger public interest shall be decided by the government. This is the subject of judicial review. Court is empowered to judge purpose of the land acquisition in the larger public interest. This is  called judicial review.

In State of Haryana vs Vinod Oil and General Mills (2014) 15 SCC, it is held by the Supreme court that the permission of change of land use has no relevance while considering the validity of acquisition. There is no bar to the subsequent acquisition of a land after land was released from earlier acquisition.

In Monnet Ispat and Energy Ltd. vs Union of India (2012) 11 SCC, it is held by the Supreme court that doctrine of promissory estoppel does not apply on legitimate acquisition of land for the purpose of larger public interest. Means court cannot stop re acquisition of land on the doctrine of promissory estoppel.

Thus it is clear from the above discussion that government can reacquire your land which was once released in your favour. If government has valid purpose behind the land acquisition then it can reacquire that land nevertheless that use of land is changed.

In Sooraram Pratap Reddy vs District Collector Ranga Reddy District (2008) 9 SCC, it is held by the Supreme court that the project for which land is acquired should be taken as whole and mist be judged whether it is in larger public interest. It cannot be split into different components and to consider whether each and every component will serve public good. A holistic approach has to be adopted in such matter.

So it does not matter that some parts of the land have taken separate for the accommodation of worksmen of the companies. It is part and parcel of the public interest that living standard of the worksmen must be maintained and basic amenities must be provided by the government.

Your case is dismissed by the district court so you can file an appeal before the High Court. But in present scenario your case is weak and no probability to get appropriate relief from appellate authority.

Ask Your Question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 18493

Consultation: 3781

How to enforce contract to sell a land

There is an agreement of sell between me and Mr x for selling of a land. At the time of sell it is mentioned that 20% money shall be paid as earnest money and rest shall be paid on the registry of such land. If X fails to register then he shall pay double of the...

sale of property by POA holder

I purchased Plot in 2010 with power of attorney. The power of attorney was given to some person by original owner. I started construction in 2016 on plot. Now the thing is coming that original owner is denying that he has not given power of attorney to any person and...

Abuse of General power of Attorney (GPoA)

Abuse of general power of attorney  A power of attorney (POA) is a legal document that empowers a person to act on behalf of another. This provision has been abused by land sharks in the transfer of property mainly for saving of stamp duty and committing frauds. Land...

widow mother’s share

What is the widow mother’s share in property? I am a widow who has recently lost my only son due to cardiac arrest. My daughter in law is not ready to share the compensation provided by my sons company (Approx. 45 lacs). I have no source of income. Both my daughters...

Unregistered agreement of sale

My friend has made an unregistered agreement of sale on rs 100 stamp paper. He wanted to get benefit from my condition because my property was disputed at that time. After five years from the date of such agreement, I sold that property to another person. My friend is...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now