Legal Advice

Is it possible to take possession of land after fifteen years?


I want legal advice in writing to differentiate between two judgements given by JK High Court on similar issues. One more appeal was dismissed by Jk High court and upheld the decision of lower court but the respondents didn't apply for getting possession of land for which resumption under 7(2) was granted to them in 2004. Is it possible to take possession of land after fifteen years? The judgement was challenged in an appeal before four forums and lastly upheld by JK High court in 2007. Please advise whether this is covered by limitation Act as they now applied with Tehsildar to provide them possession of said land so resumed by them in 2004. 


The final judgement was passed in 2007 by the Jammu & Kashmir High Court. According to Article 65 of the Limitation Act the period of limitation for regain possession of the immovable property is twelve years. It is generally not possible to take possession of land after fifteen years.

The application filed before the Tehsildar is barred by the limitation. But if he has sufficient reasons to not file that application within time then he is entitled to get the benefits of Section 5 of the Limitation Act. The court has the power to condone the delay. If Tehsildar satisfies that there is a good reason for filing that delayed application he can condone the period of limitation and admit the case.  Thereafter, he can recover the possession.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.