Legal Advice

Is it possible to divorce the first wife for legalising the second marriage?


Is it possible to divorce the first wife for legalising the second marriage? I am male married in june 2008 but due to her nature I had a second marriage in may 2009. Without informing that I was married but my first wife filed a case for my second marriage in 2010. My second marriage was declared as null and void in 2013 but as I still live with my second wife and my first wife lived at my parental house.  My first wife has taken all the money and everything after my parents have died and went back to her brother's house recently. Now I want to file a divorce case. Can I do so?


Your second marriage is void under Section 11 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 (HMA) because your first marriage was subsisting at the time of solemnisation of second marriage. Section 5 HMA explicitly makes that no spouse of the first marriage should be alive at the time of solemnisation of the second marriage. 

Your second marriage has been declared by the competent court null and void. It proves that you have committed bigamy. You are a guilty party hence, you cannot seek divorce on your own fault. If your wife agrees to get separated from you then you should convince her to file divorce case. 

In the current scenario you cannot invoke Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act for divorce. 

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.