Investigation in cruelty cases under section 498 A

Question asked on: 04/09/2015

Sir, I am a Govt servant in Police Dept in T.N. My wife has filed a false complainant against me and Police has registered a case u/s 498-A,342,327,406 IPC,Sec.3&4, 6(1),6 (2),6(3A) of DP Act 1961 IPC, Sec.3&4 DP Act 1961. In this case please advise me whether police Dept can initiate oral inquiry against me or not ? And what are the rules regarding Investigation in cruelty cases under section 498 A.

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh,

Section 498 A and other sections such as section 3/4 DP Act, section 323/327/504/506/342 etc are became general practice in India. Section 498 A is bailable but cognizable offence for the purpose of investigation. And also according to section 8 of DP Act, section 3/4 DP Act dowry related offences are cognizable.

Police is bound to initiate investigation upon receiving the information of commencement of cognizable offence, during the investigation police may record your statement then he shall record statement under section 161 of the code of criminal procedure (crpc). Police is empowered to arrest the accused on the commission of cognizable offence.

But after the amendment in section 41 of Cr.P.C. police cannot make arrest in the offence punishable up to the imprisonment of seven years. But in some conditions mentioned in section 41 of crpc police is empowered to arrest any accused for the cognizable offence which is punishable up to 7 years.

After some recent development is law relating to arrest in dowry and cruelty related police cannot arrest merely on receiving of information, In the last year Supreme court of India has passed some directions in the judgment of Arnesh Kumar vs State of Bihar and made notice under section 41 A of Cr.P.C. as mandatory before starting investigation towards offences under section 498 A IPC and DP  Act.

Now police is bound to give notice to the accused under section 41 A to appear before investigation officer. if accused appears and co-ordinates the investigation officer then police shall not arrest him. Police may record the statement of accused. If police found that there is a reason to believe that offence is committed then police can arrest the accused on the prior permission of the court.

Now police is bound to initiate preliminary investigation regarding the offence either oral or written.

Ask Your Question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 16931

Consultation: 3367

Sexual intercourse by false promise of marriage

I have a relationship with my boyfriend for two years; recently, I came to know that he is going to marry another girl. I quarrelled with him, but he is saying that you don’t have status and beauty how I can marry you? However, we had a physical relationship for that...

Domestic violence by husband

Domestic violence committed by husband in shared house hold. Sir my husband is a sepoy in up police and he is having sexual relation with his bhabhi.I got marry with him on 14 Feb 2014 as per Hindu riti Rivas and his family asked for 10 lakh Rs my father given to him...

Claim juvenile at any stage

Could a juvenile accused claim his juvenility at any stage of proceeding? A fact that accused was juvenile at the time of commission of offence is most important fact. This fact can be raised at any stage of criminal proceeding. Trial, appeal and revision are the...

Breach of trust by an employee

I was working in Pvt co.; the company has a contract with me for not sharing any information with other people.  I have some data which prove IT tax evolution. Should company sue on my toward a Breach of Trust? What would face the problem?If you disclose that data to...

No second FIR in same criminal case

I have committed an offence, and an FIR was registered. After that, a second FIR is registered against me on the same ground but in different crimes. The charge sheet is filed in respect of both FIR. Presently I am on bail. Both FIR is registered in two different...

POCSO: School principal did not report the offence

I am principal of inter college. One day peon of the college committed rape on a student of class eleven. Her father reported the incident to me on the same day and asked to file FIR. I thought that it might disrepute our institution, therefore, trying to compromise...

Presumption of Paternity in Law

My marriage was solemnized in year 2009 and child was born within 8 months from marriage. My wife is very shrewd and hush regarding her pre-marital life. I have some strong reason to doubt that child is not legitimate because she had some affair with colleague and he...

Section 142 of The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881

I am a software engineer and working in Infosys. One of my colleagues met financial hardship and requested from me to give five lakh rupees. I remitted that amount in his bank account. I have evidence to prove that he took an unsecured loan from me. After seven months...

Dishonour of security cheque is no offence under N I Act

I gave loan to my friend and at the same time, he issued a cheque of the equal amount of loan for the security of the loan. However, I was quite sure that he will return that amount in 2 months but he failed to return. I made some query regarding repayment of the loan...

Elements of dowry death

What are the essential elements of dowry death?Sati and dowry death has plagued this nation for centuries. Sati, the practice of sending a widow to her husband’s funeral pyre to burn in it. It was first outlawed under British Rule in 1829 and 1830 under the...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now