Paid Advise

Inquiry officer has been changed without furnishing any reason thereof: What should I do?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: I am working in the irrigation department of the Government of Uttar Pradesh. A departmental inquiry was set up against me for the irregularities in disbursement of grant to the beneficiaries. The inquiry officer did not find any evidence against me and submitted his report with a remark to exonerate me of all the charges. That inquiry officer has been changed without furnishing any reason thereof.

The superintendent engineer (disciplinary authority) has changed the inquiry officer and handed over the case to the new inquiry officer. He did not inform me about the change of inquiry officer. There was no reason except to punish me. I want to challenge this move please suggest.

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

Generally the disciplinary authority does not change the inquiry officer. Once the departmental inquiry has commenced against the  delinquent employee, the inquiry officer takes evidence, records statements and prepares the report. Therefore, he should not be changed. But it does not mean that there is no chance to change the inquiry officer. 

If there is cogent reason such as his biasness, inclination towards the delinquent or inability to conclude the inquiry the disciplinary authority has the power to change that inquiry officer. Such a change must be supported by a cogent reason. He (disciplinary authority) has to record the reason thereof and communicate it to the delinquent officer. 

If there is no defect in the report of the inquiry officer the disciplinary authority should not change him without furnishing a good reason thereof. The inquiry officer has exonerated the delinquent government servant shall not hold the field for appointing a fresh inquiry officer. 

Also read: Can High Court reappreciate evidence of departmental inquiry?

Hence, you should file a writ petition in the High Court and challenge the illegal and arbitrary order of disciplinary authority. The disciplinary authority has changed the inquiry officer after furnishing his report which goes in favour of the delinquent officer.

There is no reason for appointing a fresh inquiry officer. The finding of the inquiry report renders a presumption of innocence in your favour. Therefore, you have the grounds to challenge the appointment to a fresh inquiry officer without recording any reason.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case

Question: I want to know whether reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case is possible. Some imported clothings was seized during the search operation. Those goods were kept in the godown operating under the control of the state government. After a few days...

Departmental inquiry can be initiated after FIR

Question: Departmental inquiry has been initiated against me after the recording of FIR. That FIR is false and frivolous because it is very much influenced by the political vendetta. Since I am a General Manager (Project) and have issued several contracts to the...

Order of dismissal without giving any reason

Question: I have been dismissed on the oral complaint but nowhere that complaint is mentioned in the dismissal order. That order of dismissal was passed without giving any reason. The departmental inquiry is initiated without recording formal complaint and information...

Reduction of age criteria in bank examination

Question: Sir, recently the State Bank of India released notification for clerical posts. Till now for the age criteria the reference month is April, but this time without prior notice they've changed it to August. This will make many candidates who are born prior to...

Withholding of salary without any reason

Question: I've been on an unpaid service for last 3 months, progressing into 4th, purely on frivolous grounds, at the whims of accounting unit head,  without following due process of law, as laid down in Central Civil Services (Conduct) rules, without any...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.