Indian Evidence Act

by | Jan 24, 2015


Question asked on: 24/01/2015

My father has been missing for the last 30 years. He was a businessman and went to Bombay for business purpose. However, my grandfather had filed an FIR in Bombay but he was unable to pursue the case. Therefore, The case was lagging behind and there was no clue of my father. Can the court resume that his death in these circumstances.

Advised by: Mr. Shivendra Pratap Singh, Advocate

Section 108 of the Indian Evidence Act which reads: “Provided that when the question is whether a man is alive or dead, and it is proved that he has not bean heard of for 7 years by those who would naturally have heard of him if he had been alive, the burden of proving that he is alive is shifted to the person who affirms it.”

Section 107 of the Indian  Evidence Act which says that:  “Whew the question is whether a man is alive or dead, and it is shown that he was alive within 30 years, the burden of proving that he is dead is on the person who affirms it.”

Section 108 is an exception to Section 107. If a case comes within the four corners of Section 108 it is taken out of the purview of Section 107. Section 108 is only of assistance for the purposes of proving the factum of death and not the time or the date of death. If time or date of death becomes material in any particular case, that fact will have to be proved as any other fact, no assistance being available from Section 108.

If a person has not been heard of for 7 years, there is a presumption of law that he is dead; but at what time within that period he died is not a matter of presumption but of evidence and the onus of proving that the death took place at any particular time within the 7 years lies upon the person who claims a right to the establishment of which that fact is essential.

There is no legal presumption either that the person concerned was alive up to the end of the period of not less than seven years, or that he died at any particular point of time during such period, the only presumption being that he was dead at the time the question arose, if he has not been heard of during the preceding seven years.

law only presume that the person concerned is died which has never been heard in past seven years. this presumption of the law is called presumption of judicial death. Judicial death is a term used by the framers of Indian evidence act for deciding of the case in absence of any fact regarding death of the person concerned.

Ask your question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 18842

Consultation: 3891

Domestic violence by husband

Domestic violence committed by husband in shared house hold. Sir my husband is a sepoy in up police and he is having sexual relation with his bhabhi.I got marry with him on 14 Feb 2014 as per Hindu riti Rivas and his family asked for 10 lakh Rs my father given to him...

Section 142 of The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881

I am a software engineer and working in Infosys. One of my colleagues met financial hardship and requested from me to give five lakh rupees. I remitted that amount in his bank account. I have evidence to prove that he took an unsecured loan from me. After seven months...

Elements of dowry death

What are the essential elements of dowry death?Sati and dowry death has plagued this nation for centuries. Sati, the practice of sending a widow to her husband’s funeral pyre to burn in it. It was first outlawed under British Rule in 1829 and 1830 under the...

Cheque bounce case

Within what period of time can i expect justice for a check bounce case? (either I have to get money or action against the person who issued the check) . a. if he fails to pay, what would be the minimum and maximum legal action against that person? What would be the...

What to do against the false allegation

Quash the false allegation made in the complaint. You can file a petition before the High Court under section 482 of CrPC for quashing of the criminal proceeding. The court has inherent power under section 482 to take appropriate step to do justice.

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra


Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now