Paid Advise

Illegitimate son claim share in ancestral property

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Question: Can an illegitimate son claim his share in his father’s ancestral property? My father has solemnised second marriage in hush-hush. We came to know about his illegal marriage after sixteen years. Then my mother left our home and started living in her parents’ home. We are three siblings and all are living with our grandfather. My father died in 2018 and my grandfather died in 2020. Soon after the death of my grandfather, the illegitimate son of my father has filed a civil suit for partition of ancestral property. The court has accepted that suit. What remedy do we have to protect our property?

Question from: Madhya Pradesh

He is a legitimate child according to section 16 of the Hindu Marriage Act. Section 16 says that a child born out of void or voidable marriage is a legitimate child. But here, we refer to him as an illegitimate child. 

In Rajesh v. Keshar Singh [ILR (2012) MP 951] the Madhya Pradesh High Court has held that under Section 16 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the children born from the void or voidable marriage shall be the legitimate children.

Can illegitimate children claim share in father’s ancestral property?

Yes, illegitimate children are entitled to get a share in their father’s ancestral property. Section 16(3) of the Hindu Marriage Act entitles them to get rights in father’s property. That property may be an ancestral or self acquired or both. There is also a limitation under section 16(3) HMA that the illegitimate child has such rights in his father’s property only.

In Revansiddappa & Ors v. Mallikarjuna & Ors, (2011) 4 SCR 675 the Supreme Court has held that under the Hindu Marriage Act an illegitimate child is entitled to get rights in his father’s self acquired and ancestral property. 

Your grandfather died in 2020. After his death the ancestral property will devolve upon his legal heirs. Your father was the legal heir. The portion of property which your father gets if he would have been alive, that property will be devolved upon you and your father’s illegitimate child. 

Thus the civil suit is valid and you cannot deprive him from his rights in the ancestral property. He has the right to divide the ancestral property which you got after death of your grandfather.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can a tenant refuse to vacate an allotted house?

Question: Can a tenant refuse to vacate an allotted house? Our father had purchased 3 houses together in a colony, more than 50 years ago. Two on the ground floor, in which we were already living there on rent. And One house is on top of these two houses. A tenant...

First Name is missing in jamabandi 

Question: Respected Sir, I bought a flat in 2018. Now we had applied for renovation loan from bank and for that when we were collecting the required documents. It came to our knowledge that jamabandi had only my surname and operator missed to enter my first name in...

Can I transfer a demat account without a probate?

Question: Can I transfer a demat account without a probate? My father had made me (his son) as nominee on his demat account. However as per his will this account should be given to his grandson (my son). Bank wants a probate of the will. However as per his will this...

Can a mother gift self-acquired property to her grandson?

Question: My mother has a self-acquired property and also got property of my father. My father died in 2006 without making a Will.  However, the khatha has been transferred in my mother's name. We have a family of 3 people. Can a mother gift self-acquired property to...

Repossession of flat let out on rent since 1968 

Question: I own a flat of 600 sq ft in a cooperative housing society in ghatkopar west. Repossession of flat let out on rent since 1968. My grandmother had let it out in 1968, the rent was fixed at rs 120 pm and ever since then it continues till date. The share...

My father did not do mutation 

Question: My father did not do mutation after purchasing a land. A plot purchased by my father in 1991. He died in 2017 with no mutation etc done on this property due to some family disputes. Now I got information that this property of my father is sold and my family...

Can conveyance deed be done with the developer ?

Question: Cooperative Housing society is on 98 years leased land. Property is going for redevelopment. Can conveyance deed be done with the developer.?  Builder is going to give freehold ownership flats to tenants. Builder is asking us, who are the landowners, to do a...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.