Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law Cases | Illegal use of my boundary wall by my neighbor

Illegal use of my boundary wall by my neighbor

Question:  There is an Illegal use of my boundary wall by my neighbor. My father built the 6 ft high 5″ thick 60 ft long boundary wall before construction of our 2 storied building within my premises in the year 1990-91 when there was a narrow drain and one 3″ thick small boundary wall of my neighbor was there. 

After completion of our wall the neighbor breaks down the wall and assumes my wall as his boundary wall also. He also demanded plastering of the wall on his side but my father denied it. No problem arises till 2017. But in 2018 the neighbor built a shed on the vacant area between his house and my boundary wall. He drilled a number of iron hooks in my wall for erection of angles without taking my permission. Is this work legal or not ? Can my neighbor use my own wall for any construction ? What will I do now ?

Question from: West Bengal

Your neighbour cannot use your boundary wall as his own. You can file a civil suit and take appropriate action under the code of criminal procedure. This is your property and your neighbour cannot drill and cause any kind of harm to your boundary wall.

Serve a legal notice on your neighbour for not using your boundary wall as his own property. You should tell him in the legal notice to stop using your boundary wall. If he still carries on his activity on the boundary wall then you should file a civil suit as well as file a complaint before the sub divisional magistrate under section 145 of the code of criminal procedure.

Approach the local police station for taking action under section 145 CRPC. Illegal use of your boundary wall may disturb the peace and tranquility. Thereafter, the police officer will prepare a report and send it to the sub divisional magistrate for taking action under section 145 of the code of criminal procedure.

The sub divisional magistrate can take a bond from your neighbour under section 107 of CrPC for maintaining peace. 

Lawyer’s advice

Tenant has not been paying rent – Eviction of tenant

My tenant has not been paying rent since November 2019. I am a 68 year old person from Visakhapatnam. I gave my shop on rent to a person for tailoring. He paid the rent for the last time in Aug 2019 through phonepe. From Nov 2019 he stopped paying current bills also....

Tenant owns a house in the same city: Eviction of tenant

Question: Our father had purchased three houses together in a colony, more than 50 years ago. Two on the ground floor, in which we were already living there on rent. And One house is on top of these two houses. A tenant family was on rent, the time we purchased it....

Limitation period for cancellation of probate

Question: I want to file a case for the cancellation of probate. The district court has granted the letter of administration in the course of probate proceedings. The executor of the will did not make me a party in the probate proceeding. Therefore, I could not have...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.