Paid Advise

I want more money as interim maintenance to take care of my children

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: I have filed a maintenance case in 2020. Today the court has passed an interim order on the basis of husband’s income. His income is about one lakh per month. The maintenance amount is 20000/-monthly. Out of which 15000/- for me and 5000/- for both kids. My kids need more money to carry on their studies. So I want more money as interim maintenance to take care of my children. Please guide me. 

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

This is not final maintenance. Court grants ad-interim maintenance to meet the current financial need. The court has granted 20% of your husband’s salary as interim maintenance. 

However, there is no fixed rule regarding the percentage of salary which the court can grant in respect of interim maintenance. The court decides it on the parameter of net income of husband and basic necessity of wife & children. Prima facie this amount seems fair and there is no room for interference.

File a revision against the order of interim maintenance

If you think that fees and other necessities of your child cannot be fulfilled in five thousand rupees then you can file a revision against the interim order of maintenance. 

The revisional court has very limited power. Revisional court shall examine the basic needs of your child in order to increase the amount of maintenance. Therefore, you can produce evidence regarding the fees and other expenses which you are currently bearing in the care of your child. The court cannot decide any other issue except the amount of interim maintenance. 

It is, however, the prime responsibility of the father to maintain his child. He should take full responsibility towards fees and other necessities. The revisional court has the power to enhance the amount of maintenance

You can thus file revision in the court of sessions if the magistrate has passed the interim order under Section 125 crpc. If the same order has been passed by the family court then you should file revision before the High Court. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband? My husband is unemployed due to heavy losses in business during the Covid period. He is still not working but capable of feeding his family. Recently he has developed an illegal relationship with his ex-employee and is...

A maintenance order without hearing the husband is void

The court cannot pass a maintenance order under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc) without hearing or giving the opportunity of hearing to the husband. If the court did so, it has breached the principle of natural justice. The husband should file an application under section 126 crpc for setting aside that order. There is a period of limitation for filing of such an application u/s 126 crpc

Notice under section 128 crpc

I have received a notice under section 128 crpc. My wife filed a maintenance case under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. The court has passed final order in that case to pay rupees seven thousand per month as a maintenance. This is too high maintenance...

लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रहने वाली महिला मित्र भी भरण-पोषण का दावा कर सकती है

मैं पिछले 10 वर्षों से अपने पुरुष मित्र के साथ लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रह रही हूं. मेरे एक 6 साल की बेटी भी है. विगत 3 महीनों से मेरा मित्र मुझे घर से निकालने का धमकी दे रहा है और उसने मुझसे सभी प्रकार के संपर्क समाप्त कर लिया है. कई बार मेरा उससे बहस होती है कि अब मैं...

Can educated wife claim maintenance under section 125 CRPC

मेरी पत्नी ने मेरे तथा मेरी मां के विरुद्ध घरेलू हिंसा का केस दर्ज किया था जो कि न्यायालय द्वारा 5 फरवरी 2020 को खारिज कर दिया गया है. इसके पश्चात मेरी पत्नी ने अपने मायके जाकर धारा 125 के अंतर्गत भरण पोषण का दावा किया है. मेरी पत्नी शैक्षणिक रूप से सक्षम है तो क्या...

Excessive maintenance under Section 125 crpc

Judicial Magistrate has awarded excessive maintenance under section 125 crpc. An Order on section 125 crpc is passed by Kalyani judicial magistrate court ordering a final maintenance amount of Rs.7000. The wife has left me on her own will and I have sent 3 letters...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.