Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | I want divorce because my wife is a characterless lady

I want divorce because my wife is a characterless lady

Estimated Reading Time:

My wife has illegal relations which I did not know at the time of marriage. She is a characterless lady so I want divorce. I got married in 2008, and my marriage life is still very good till Dec 2019. In Dec 2019 I found that my wife has been characterless for so many years, approx 5 to 7 years. But I have no solid proof. After Dec 2019 to till date I found she has an abnormal negative change in her behaviour with me and my 70 years old mother. She misbehaving with me and my mom. And she gives us warnings every day about police cases. 

And finally she claims 498-A in mahila police and 125 in court. My question is that I’m ready to accept her.but she does not want to come. She claim a totally wrong case against me. I am in trouble. She is misusing ladies law. What can I do? I also have a 12 years old child with her. I think she has no feelings for me.

Question from: Gujrat

You should file an application in the maintenance petition filed under Section 125 crpc. According to section 125(4) crpc, the wife cannot get maintenance if she has been living in adultery. She has been in a sexual relationship for more than five years. You have evidence to prove her extra marital relations. 

File a divorce case

You have evidence to prove her extra marital affairs. Your wife has been living in adultery. Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act envisages adultery as a ground of divorce. However, adultery is no more an offence but it is a ground of divorce under the personal law. Hence, file a divorce case in the Family Court. 

Adultery disentitles the wife to get maintenance

In this situation you should immediately file such an application and protest her claim of maintenance. Her petition of maintenance under section 125 crpc will fail and the court will dismiss her petition.

No Wife shall be entitled to receive an allowance from her husband under this section if she is living in adultery, or if, without any sufficient reason, she refuses to live with her husband, or if they are living separately by mutual consent.

Section 125(4) CrPC

Thus your wife is not entitled for the maintenance under Section 125 crpc because she has been living in adultery. This is a statutory ground and the court will dismiss her case after receiving evidence in regard to adultery

Quashing of 498-A case 

So far as section 498-A is concerned, you should file a petition before the High Court under section 482 crpc for quashing. Your wife has no evidence of cruelty. You can prove that after revelation of her extra marital relations she has filed this complaint. The High Court will quash this criminal proceeding.

Latest Advice

My neighbour stares at me and my sister: What should I do?

My neighbours built the house recently. His balcony covers half of the road and standing on the balcony he stares at me and my sister. Most of the time we stay inside home, if we go out to buy vegetables, he comes and keeps on staring. He throws cigarette pieces at my home. Difficult to live in my own house.
How to deal with this issue? Old granny at home and I don’t have anyone to support. Since I’m a girl I should not raise my voice.

Husband has not been paying maintenance since March 2020

The court has ordered under section 125 crpc to pay maintenance @18000 per month. But my husband has not been paying the maintenance and he wants to file a divorce case against me. I have contacted my advocate for taking legal action against my husband for payment of...

Boyfriend is playing victim card and blackmailing me

Boyfriend is playing the victim card and blackmailing me to shut my mouth and stop claiming marriage. My boyfriend promised me he will marry I said no cuz I have no control over my anger bt he said he will manage then he ask for physical just cuz he will marry I said...

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband? My husband is unemployed due to heavy losses in business during the Covid period. He is still not working but capable of feeding his family. Recently he has developed an illegal relationship with his ex-employee and is...

Adjustment in amount of maintenance under Section 125 crpc

I want adjustment in amount of maintenance under Section 125 crpc. My wife has filed a case in Section 125 crpc for maintenance. I have been ordered to pay maintenance. Hence I have been paying the maintenance to my wife since 2009 till 2020. Now, the problem is that...

Embezzlement of paid electricity bills

Complaints regarding embezzlement of paid electricity bills were made by consumers in the division office of the electricity board against lower class employees. Statements of consumers were recorded in the division office. After that an FIR was lodged against the...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.