Husband obstructing petition by taking unreasonable adjournments

Question asked on: 26/10/2015

Respected sir, my husband was taken lots of unreasonable adjournments with a view to delay the judgment in my maintenance petition. I have filed petition in year 2000 and got judgment in September 2015.

Court in the judgment gave order of maintenance from the date of order instead of from the date of filing of petition. No interim maintenance had been received and no other relief was sought by me. I want to appeal this judgment for giving maintenance from the date filing of my petition. Can you advice me the correct proposition of law.

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh,

Section 125 of the code of criminal procedure [crpc] provides swift remedy to get maintenance from husband. In many cases husband refuses to give maintenance and take unnecessary adjournment on filing of application. It is unfortunate that your case continued for 15 years before the court to decide. It is a rule that maintenance would be awarded from the date of order [K. Shivaram vs Mangalamba (1990) Cri LJ].

But court has power to grant maintenance from the date of filing of application by recording special reasons [section 354(6) CRPC] Shail Kumari Devi vs Krishna Bhagwan pathak [2008] 9 SCC. You should have plead for granting of maintenance from the date of filing of application. Without pleading this fact court is not bound to grant maintenance from the date of filing of application.

However in exceptional cases when court found that husband deliberately causing delay court can pass such order. In Shail Kumari Devi vs Krishna Bhagwan pathak [2008] 9 SCC Supreme court has held that in conducive of justice in the case court may order to grant maintenance from the date of application if husband obstructing petition by taking unreasonable adjournments in the case. This is reiterated in the case of Krishna Jain 1992 Cri. LJ.

You should file appeal in the high court on the basis of aforesaid judgment for granting maintenance from the date of filing of application.

Ask Your Question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 16931

Consultation: 3367

Wife is threatening to take my flat

I am the owner of a flat purchased it before the marriage. My father is the co-owner in that property, and he also paid some amount in the purchase of the flat. The instalments of the EMI is about to complete. My father has relinquished his share in the property by...

Premarital unchastity of wife ground of divorce

I got married on 22/04/2016 at Warangal, Telangana. One day, I received messages and calls from one person saying that the person and my wife is having an affair from 6 years and being in a physical relationship for more than a year. He sent not only messages but also...

Custody of child

Case filed by wife. Going on for past 8 months out of which she remained absent for the last 4 times repeatedly. She is staying with another man in another city. Our 3 year daughter is with her parents. During the last time even the judge fired her lawyer about her...

Mutual consent of divorce

My  husband compelled me to support his petition of mutual consent of divorce. Because of such compulsion I accepted his offer for one time settlement. he gave 4 lac for it and refused to give any amount for my treatment. He said that 4 lac is given for my treatment...

Compromise in matrimonial dispute

My wife has filed three cases against my family members in different sections of IPC and me as well as under the Domestic Violence Act. She has filed a divorce case against me in district Ajmer to mount pressure upon me. In the meantime, I have filed a petition for...

Mutually agreed Divorce

My daughter & Son-in-Law are not finding compatible with each other for the last few years and are on the verge of breaking. They are married strictly as per the customary practice of Lingayat community (Fully discussed in the Supreme Court decision referred...

Registration of marriage

What is procedure for registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act? Registration of marriage is a mode of proof of marriage. On adducing the registration certificate of marriage, it may be presumed by the law that marriage is deemed to has taken place. There was...

Only legally wedded wife has right to claim maintenance under section 125 CRPC

My husband does not interest to maintain me. He used to absent in the court proceeding and later on claimed that our marriage is void due to not solemnised as per the Hindu ritual. I am legally wedded wife, hence can he refused to pay maintenance under section 125...

Husband refuses to maintenance due to unemployment

If the husband is unemployed still he is bound to maintain his wife. It is the paramount duty of a husband to maintain his wife unless he is unable to earn due to his physical or mental infirmity. The wife can claim maintenance from the husband if he deliberately refuses or neglects to maintain her.

Residence order under domestic violence act

My husband and my in-laws are very much adamant to throw me out from the matrimonial home. I have some confrontations with my husband and in-laws because they committed extreme cruelty against me. They are very greedy and intolerable towards any resistance. My father...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now