Legal Advice

Husband not appearing in the proceeding under domestic violence act


My husband not appearing in the proceeding under domestic violence act thereby I am not able to receive interim remedies. I have filed a case under domestic violence for the protection order, residence order and monetary relief. The notice has already been sent to the husband through the registered post as well as via the summons of court. He has received the summon and copy of complaint on 12-05-2019 but not appearing the court. His lawyer files exemption application on each date and the court casually granting him time. I am facing financial difficulties due to not getting interim maintenance from my husband. Please help me.


Section 23 of the domestic violence act empowers the court to pass any interim relief in the absence of the respondent. If the contents of complaint itself prove that the respondent has committed the act of domestic violence, the court has the power to grant interim relief.

In Juveria Abdul Majid Patni v. Atif Iqbal Mansoori, (2014) 10 SCC 736 the hon’ble supreme court has held that magistrate can grant interim ex-parte maintenance to the complainant as the court deems just and proper if the complaint discloses commission of domestic violence.

You should move an application to the learned Magistrate for urgent hearing of your application for interim relief in the absence of respondent (your husband). The aggrieved party is entitled to interim maintenance, to meet the expenses incurred and losses suffered by her and her child as a result of the domestic violence.

If the Magistrate again gives time to the respondent and not willing to decide your case, then you should prefer an application to the high court under section 483 of the code of criminal procedure for the expeditious disposal of interim application. The high court may fix a time period with in which the Magistrate is bound to dispose of your case.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.