Legal Advice

Husband not allowed to reside in matrimonial home since 1995


Husband not allowed to reside in matrimonial home since 1995 i.e. one year from the date of marriage. He said the our marriage is solemnised against his will and desire. My in-laws have tried their best to settle our dispute but they failed. No sexual relations have been established between us. I am living with my parents but they are very old and not able to take care of me. In this situation can I approach the court for my rights?


You have been facing domestic violence from your husband, you have the right to file a case against him. Denying the legally wedded wife the right to reside in her matrimonial home is a form of violence. Even if your husband is not willing to grant a divorce, you are still his legally married wife. Hence, he cannot refuse you to live with him on the basis that marriage was solemnised against his will.

Although the Domestic Violence Act was enacted in 2005, you have been experiencing such difficulties since 1995. According to a Supreme Court ruling in V.D. Bhanot v. Savita Bhanot [(2012) 3 SCC 183], the conduct of both parties before the Act was implemented can be considered when making decisions under Sections 18, 19, and 20 of the Act.

You had lived in your matrimonial home after your marriage for a year, but your husband has not been allowed you to live therein since 1995. The concept of shared household did not exist in 1995 because the DV Act came into force in 2005. However, the Supreme Court held in the V.D. Bhanot case that:

Even if a wife who had previously shared a household was no longer doing so when the Act came into force, she is still entitled to protection under the DV Act, 2005.

V.D. Bhanot vs Savita Bhanot [2012] 3SCC 183

As a result, you are entitled to claim a protection order, a residence order, and monetary relief under Sections 18, 19, and 20 of the DV Act. Additionally, you are entitled to maintenance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. Therefore, you should file a complaint against your husband under Section 12 of the DV Act as soon as possible.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.