Home | Legal Advice | Family Law Advice | Husband has recorded whatsapp conversation

Husband has recorded whatsapp conversation

Shivendra Pratap Singh


24/06/2021/ 11:27:21 PM

Reading Time:

Question: My husband has recorded a whatsapp conversation with my mother and is blackmailing me to reveal them. He wants to divorce me because he loves another girl who is working in his office. He is thus collecting evidence for filing a divorce case. I have made some allegations against my husband in recording of whatsapp chat. He is torturing me to reveal them and pressuring me to sign a mutual consent divorce. 

Question from: Maharashtra

Don’t sign a mutual consent divorce. The divorce by mutual consent is an agreement and free consent of parties are mandatory. Your husband is trying to obtain your consent through coercion or blackmailing. This type of consent is not a free consent as required under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act (HMA). 

Your husband thinks that he will take your consent by threatening to reveal your conversation. Therefore, he has recorded your whatsapp conversation. But he does not know that that conversation has no legal value. If he reveals those conversations he will get nothing. Thus you should not take it seriously. Let him reveal them. 

You are performing your matrimonial obligations and living with him in the matrimonial home. Your husband has no grounds to take divorce. Section 13 of HMA enumerates some grounds for divorce. Cruelty, desertion, unsound mind, mental disorder, venereal disease are some ground upon which the husband can seek divorce. Recording of whatsapp conversation does not prove any of those grounds for divorce.

Cruelty and desertion are based upon guilt theory. Unless and until your husband proves your guilt he cannot take divorce. The conversation between you and your mother does not prove cruelty. This is a general wear and tear of matrimonial life. The court will not give any weightage to that whatsapp conversation recorded by your husband. 

File a civil suit

You should watch his activity and be ready to take appropriate action at the appropriate time. If he is planning to marry his colleague you should immediately file a civil suit for injunction. If you file that civil suit your husband again cannot seek divorce because he is the guilty party. He is attempting to commit offence of bigamy. 

Your husband is a guilty party thus he cannot avail any matrimonial remedy. Recording of whatsapp chat is a mere threat therefore, you should ignore it.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to...

Custody of child below five years

Taking custody of a child below the age of five years is a difficult question for the father. However, father and mother both are natural guardians under the Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act, 1956. But the mother gets priority over the father for the custody of a...

Mother is taking custody of children from father

Question: My wife is living apart. She is living with her paramour and happy with him. I have two children, both are sons. Now the mother is taking custody of the children from the father. It is a very painful situation for me. Both sons are minor and very happy with...

How can I get a copy of divorce decree?

Question: How can I get a copy of divorce decree? What should I do if my husband has solemnised second marriage? I have been living separately from my husband for two years. He has solemnised a second marriage and is living with that lady. When I knew about it I...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.