Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | How to take possession over my father’s house?

How to take possession over my father’s house?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: How can I take possession over my father’s house? Is there any legal formality before taking such a possession?

Facts: There is a house owned by my father. Both my father and mother expired. How to take possession over my father’s house? There are two daughters as legal heirs, me and my elder sister. The house is of G+1 and the built area of the floors are unequal. 

There was an attempt for an amicable settlement where I was given the option to take the floor that has 75% of constructed area as compared to the other one. 

Since I am not ok with it , I suggested a vertical partition leaving the common passage. But my elder sister and her husband did not agree. Now they occupied the entire house and enjoyed the rental income of the other floor as well. When we tried to enter the premises they locked the gate so we reached the police station. 

But it did not work as they were influenced by the local political power. We filed the partition suite and it is in progress. Is there any legal procedure that will help to enter the premises and stay there till the verdict for the partition suite is given.

Question from: Tamil Nadu

Advise: There is no dispute that it is your father’s self acquired property. He has died intestate i.e. without making a testamentary will. In this condition the legal heirs are entitled to inherit this house. He (your father) had two daughters hence, daughters are the legal heirs. 

How to take possession over father’s house?

In your case one daughter has illegal possession over the entire property. Therefore, you should initiate a mutation proceeding in the municipal corporation. This property should be mutated in the name of both daughters. Mutation is evidence of possession. 

When you move the mutation proceeding your sister cannot oppose it because she cannot deny your legal heirship. Collect the death certificate of your father and file an application for mutation. 

At the same time you should move an application under Section 145 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc). That application will be filed in the court of the Executive Magistrate. Since, there is no dispute regarding the title and legal heirship hence, the Magistrate will give you possession over the house. 

You have filed a partition suit in civil court. It is a good decision because the civil court is competent to decide the right of legal heirs. In the same civil suit you should claim permanent injunction and declaration of your right. The proceeding under Section 145 crpc is fast and effective. Hence you should try that procedure and get possession over the house.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.