Paid Advise

How to take custody of my daughter from Nari Niketan?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My daughter has been living in Nari Niketan. She left our house and travelled to Agra by train. The RPF police Agra kept her in custody when she was wandering on the platform. Now the Railway Magistrate has sent her to Nari Niketan. How to take custody of my daughter from Nari Niketan? She is minor and of sound mind. Is there any procedure to bring her back home? The RPF has informed me that my daughter is living in the Nari Niketan Agra.

Question from: Madhya Pradesh

In this situation you should move an application to the Railway Magistrate and demand custody of your daughter from Nari Niketan. Currently, Nari Niketan is a legal custodian of your child because of the order of the Magistrate. Hence, you cannot move a habeas corpus writ petition before the High Court. 

Taking custody of daughter from Nari Niketan

The matter is under the territorial jurisdiction of Railway Magistrate, Agra. Therefore, you should move an application in the court of Railway Magistrate, Agra. You should produce the summon and submit her birth certificate or any other document to prove that she is your daughter. 

If you have lodged an FIR under Section 363 of the Indian Penal Code, for missing your child then you must produce its copy to the Magistrate. However, in absence of FIR the court may grant custody of your daughter.

In absence of evidentiary proof that she is your daughter the Court will not pass an order to transfer custody of the child from Nari Niketan. 

Read also: How to release wife from her parent’s custody

I think there is no dispute regarding custody. She is innocent, not connected with any crime, RPF personnel found her wandering on the platform, therefore, took her in custody. The facts of your case suggest that in the interest of justice her custody should be given to her parents. 

A balance has to be struck between the attachment and sentiments of the parties towards the minor children and the welfare of the minors which is of paramount importance.

R.V. Srinath Prasad vs. Nandamuri Jayakrishna, (2001) 4 SCC 71

If the Railway Magistrate refuses your application and retains her custody in the Nari Niketan, then you can move a writ petition to the High Court. In this condition, you have to file a habeas corpus writ. Such an order of Magistrate will render her custody illegal. Then you can approach the High Court for taking custody of your daughter from the Nari Neketan.

Read also: Action against illegal custody

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can investigating officer send the document to FSL?

Question: Can investigating officer send the document to FSL? I am 75 years Retd ISRO scientist in Hyderabad.  Seeking your advice/suggestion/consultation on a small clarification. I had bought 1 Acr land  in 1997 and got it mutated in 2019. ROR is in my...

Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid? 

Question: Prosecution sanction by competent authority is granted after lapse of stipulated period mandated and specified under Section 19 of the P. C. amendment act 2018. Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid?  Whether the sanction is valid or...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CDR?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.