Paid Advise

How to get maintenance after the withdrawal of an application under section 125 crpc

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014


Reading Time:

Sir, I want to know that How to get maintenance after the withdrawal of application under section 125 crpc? My husband cheated me and deceitfully took my consent in the compromise deed. He promised to pay 45 lakh rupees as one-time settlement for the divorce and relinquishment of maintenance. I was in deep frustration because my husband has an extramarital relationship and my marriage was broke out within one and a half years.

My parents were also not ready but due to immense pressure from all the sides, they gave consent. He filed that compromise deed in the court and disposed of all the litigations. After getting divorced and settlement of all the legal proceedings he refused to perform the terms of compromise deed. Now I am facing a financial crisis and he refused to give any assistance what should I do?

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

In this situation, you should move a civil suit under Section 18 of the Hindu adoption and maintenance act 1956. However, you have withdrawn all the cases from the court but your right to maintenance is still subsisting. You are entitled to get maintenance under Section 18 despite you have withdrawn your application under section 125 crpc.

Your husband played fraud and deceitfully took your signature on compromise deed. A compromise is a contract therefore consent of parties must be free. Free consent of both parties the mandatory for a valid compromise.

Withdrawal of an application under section 125 crpc

The order of maintenance made under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure is tentative and subject to the final determination of maintenance by a competent Civil Court. This is the scope of section 125 CrPC so far as related to the nature of the order. Therefore, section 125 CrPC does not impose any restriction on claiming maintenance under Section 18 of the Hindu adoption and maintenance act. You can claim maintenance under Section 18 even though you have withdrawn the MC under section 125 CRPC.

In Nagendrappa Natikar v. Neelamma, (2014) 14 SCC 452 Supreme Court has held that section 125 CrPC does not intend to provide a full and final determination of the status and personal rights of the parties, which is in the nature of a civil proceeding, though are governed by the provisions of CrPC and the order made under Section 125 CrPC is tentative and is subject to the final determination of the rights in a civil court.

Compromise deed is void under the contract act

The compromise deed is void according to the provisions of the Indian Contract Act. Your husband has cheated you by making false promises in the compromise deed. He had no intention to perform his promise at the time of the making of that compromise deed. Therefore that deed is void under section 19 of the Indian Contract Act.

You should file an appeal before the appellate court to set aside the consent decree. Your husband has played fraud which you can prove by his subsequent conduct. He did not perform his promise which he made in the compromise deed. All the promises are false and frivolous. He had no intention to perform his promise despite that he signed the compromise deed. All these facts are sufficient to set aside the consent decree.

How to get maintenance?

According to Section 18 Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act, a Hindu wife is entitled to be maintained by her husband during her lifetime. Hindu wife has the right to maintenance however she is living separately from her husband. If she has reasonable ground to live separately from her husband then she is entitled to the maintenance. She is not entitled to maintenance if she is unchaste or ceases to be a Hindu by conversion to another religion. The husband is bound to maintain his wife in the following conditions.

  • If he has deserted his wife without reasonable cause or her consent or against her will.
  • When the husband has committed cruelty to such an extent which causes reasonable apprehension in the mind of wife that it will be harmful or injurious to live with her husband.
  • If the husband is suffering from a virulent form of Leprosy.
  • When the husband is living with a concubine in the same house in which his wife is living.
  • If the husband habitually resides with a concubine at any other place.
  • If the husband has any other wife living.
  • When the husband is ceased to be a Hindu by conversion to another religion.
  • There is another cause justifying for the wife to live separately.

You should file a civil suit under Section 18(2) of the Hindu adoption and maintenance act. Your petition is maintainable and you will get the maintenance from your husband.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Increasing maintenance in mutual consent divorce

Question: Can I claim for increasing maintenance in mutual consent divorce? Whether maintenance granted under consent terms in mutual divorce can be directly enhanced under 127 crpc without any order under 125 crpc.  Asked from: Goa The decree of mutual consent...

Wife filed false case of rape on my brother

Question: Date (July -21) - After one month, she filed section 125 and demanded 25 lakh (They spent on marriage around 2 to 2.5 Lacs Maximum) Date (Aug -21) - Then I filed a case under section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act. Wife filed false case of rape on my...

Husband has not been paying maintenance since March 2020

The court has ordered under section 125 crpc to pay maintenance @18000 per month. But my husband has not been paying the maintenance and he wants to file a divorce case against me. I have contacted my advocate for taking legal action against my husband for payment of...

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband? My husband is unemployed due to heavy losses in business during the Covid period. He is still not working but capable of feeding his family. Recently he has developed an illegal relationship with his ex-employee and is...

Adjustment in amount of maintenance under Section 125 crpc

I want adjustment in amount of maintenance under Section 125 crpc. My wife has filed a case in Section 125 crpc for maintenance. I have been ordered to pay maintenance. Hence I have been paying the maintenance to my wife since 2009 till 2020. Now, the problem is that...

A maintenance order without hearing the husband is void

The court cannot pass a maintenance order under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc) without hearing or giving the opportunity of hearing to the husband. If the court did so, it has breached the principle of natural justice. The husband should file an application under section 126 crpc for setting aside that order. There is a period of limitation for filing of such an application u/s 126 crpc

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.