Paid Advise

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our marriage before the marriage registrar. We never lived together as a husband-wife because we were studying in B.Tech and after the completion we both were placed in different companies in 2017.

Now my parents are searching for a bridegroom for me and I’m also willing to marry a guy of my parents’ choice. I have talked to my boyfriend (husband) and he is also willing to end our marital status. He has been in a relationship with a girl and he is planning to marry her. How can we get a mutual consent divorce within six months? Please suggest. We both are living in Delhi. 

Asked from: New Delhi

You did not mention that when your marriage was solemnised. But according to the facts of your case, it seems that your marriage was solemnised before 2017. Your husband and you agree to end this nuptial knot. Hence, you should file a mutual consent divorce under Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act. 

The mandatory period of separation for one year as required under section 13B has met. You have been living separately for more than five years. However, your marriage is solemnised and registered but in reality you both are unwilling partners. 

This marriage is purposeless for yours therefore, no need to prolong this relationship further. Hence, you can move a petition under Section 13B for mutual consent divorce. Generally the court, upon filing of mutual consent divorce, gives a long date for six to eighteen months. This period is genetically treated as a second motion. After the second motion the court proceeds further and pass a decree of divorce.  

In Nikhil Kumar vs Rupali Kumar AIR 2016 SC 2163, (2016) 13 SCC 383 the Hon’ble Supreme Court has held that the Supreme Court can waive the statutory period of second motion under Article 142 of the Constitution of India. 

The Supreme Court can waive the second motion as required under Section 13B(2) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955. But no need to approach the Supreme Court only for waiver of second motion. You can file a mutual consent divoce in the Family Court in Delhi. One week after the filing of divorce petition you should move a waiver application in the Family court.

In Amardeep Singh V. Harveen Kaur AIR 2018 SC (Civ) 41  the Supreme Court has held that, in mutual consent divorce, the court can waive the statutory period of six months after considering the following facts:

  1. Separation of parties is already over before the first motion itself.
  2. There is no likelihood of success in mediation or conciliation efforts. 
  3. Parties have genuinely settled their differences including alimony, custody of child or any other pending issues between them. 
  4. The waiting period will only prolong their agony. 

So, you may move a waiver application stating the facts that you haven’t been living as spouse for a single day, there are no differences or issues regarding the maintenance, custody of child etc. You both have agreed to end this nuptial knot. 

The court may admit your waiver application and proceed further to pass a decree of mutual consent divorce. If you prepare a settlement deed then the court may grant a decree within six months from the date of filing of the divorce petition. 

If the court rejects your waiver application then you should file a writ petition before the High Court and take a direction from the High Court to waive the second motion. The High Court in the guidelines of Hon’ble Supreme Court, passed in Amardeep Singh, may direct the family court to waive the period of second motion and proceed further. Thereafter you can get mutual consent divorce in six months from the date of filing.   

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to...

Mother is taking custody of children from father

Question: My wife is living apart. She is living with her paramour and happy with him. I have two children, both are sons. Now the mother is taking custody of the children from the father. It is a very painful situation for me. Both sons are minor and very happy with...

How can I get a copy of divorce decree?

Question: How can I get a copy of divorce decree? What should I do if my husband has solemnised second marriage? I have been living separately from my husband for two years. He has solemnised a second marriage and is living with that lady. When I knew about it I...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.