Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | How much share do I get in my father’s property?

How much share do I get in my father’s property?

Shivendra Pratap Singh


06/10/2021/ 12:21:07 PM

Reading Time:

My father has died but my mother is alive. I have 5 sisters and we have 4 brothers. Among them 2 sisters and 1 brother are below the age of 18. My father had owned 9 acres of land but he died without any will. And my mother owns 1 acre of land. How much share do I get in my father’s property? For Making of EWS certificate who will be included in ‘Family’ (as given in EWS certificate format) and what will be the total land share of that ‘Family’. 

Question from: Bihar

Under the Muslim law, distribution of property can be made in two ways – per capita or per strip distribution. The per capita distribution is prevalent in Sunni law. According to it the legal heirs get equal share in the property of the deceased person.

The per strip distribution method is recognised in the Shia law. According to this method property devolves upon the legal heirs on the per stripe basis and each stripe gets equal share. 

Here I advise as per the Sunni law because majority of population belong to Sunni. Deceased’s parents, wife and children are the legal heirs. So the property will equally devolve upon legal heirs. All will get equal share because Muslim law does not discreminate between the male and female legal heirs. 

Your father has died intestate hence, your mother and siblings are the legal heirs. There are ten members in your family hence each member will get 1/10 share in the property. Therefore, each member will get 0.9 acre land in the inheritance.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Stepmother demanding full share in father’s property

Question: Our property was transferred from pagdi to ownership and no registration was done in the name of my mother. Stepmother is demanding full share in father’s property. My mother died in 1999 and my father take noc from all children. Three sisters and 1 brother...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.