Paid Advise

How can I leave my husband’s home without his consent?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Hello, I have been married for 6 yrs. And my in-laws have been demanding for more dowry. How can I leave my husband’s home without his consent? The gold gifted during my marriage is in my father in laws custody. Well I did not encourage more dowry and hence was a victim of terrible domestic violence. 

My father in law is a womaniser (and looks and behaves at me in an inappropriate way) and my mother in law has tortured me a lot. My husband never came in support. He always said that he himself is scared of them. 

I have had 2 miscarriages because of the mental disturbance. My husband does not give me any money at present, I will have to beg for 100₹ also. And then my in-laws come home, thinking about the past issues I left at my parents’ home. 

I had informed my husband orally, still he faked a police complaint and made the constable (he knew) call me by his personal no. I am fed up because I don’t get emotional, mental, moral and financial support from my husband. He blackmails me about committing sucide if I don’t go to visit his parents. 

At present I want to be peaceful and happy so I am planning to live separately. So I am planning to leave his house and find a job. I doubt there is 1 legally correct procedure to leave my husband’s home with my belongings ( I do not have money to file divorce) . 

What if he files a false complaint that I stole valuable gold and cash when I leave the house. How can I get those gold gifted during my marriage. I have digital evidence. My father in law says he didn’t receive anything during the marriage when I asked him to return them.

Asked from: Delhi

You are facing mental, physical, economical and emotional touture in the matrimonial home. These abuses constitute sufficient reasons for living separately. You can leave the matrimonial home without the consent of your husband. 

While you are living separately, you can claim maintenance from your husband. Section 125 of the code of criminal procedure, entitles the destitute women to get alimony from her husband despite that she is living separately.

That gold jewelleries are stridhan and it is your exclusive property. You should take all the jewellery from the custody of your husband. If he refused then you should file a civil suit for recovery of stridhan. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to...

Mother is taking custody of children from father

Question: My wife is living apart. She is living with her paramour and happy with him. I have two children, both are sons. Now the mother is taking custody of the children from the father. It is a very painful situation for me. Both sons are minor and very happy with...

How can I get a copy of divorce decree?

Question: How can I get a copy of divorce decree? What should I do if my husband has solemnised second marriage? I have been living separately from my husband for two years. He has solemnised a second marriage and is living with that lady. When I knew about it I...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.