Home | Legal Advice | Service Law Matters | Gratuity payment not done while doing final settlement 

Gratuity payment not done while doing final settlement 

Shivendra Pratap Singh


29/04/2022/ 12:07:23 AM

Reading Time:

Question: Gratuity payment not done while doing final settlement while leaving the organisation. This was a case of an employment where I was working with 2 group companies of durations of 4.4 yrs and 1.6 yrs ..In total I have completed 5.10 yrs with that group Question I have a situation where I was employed with a company for 4.2 yrs . Now the company transferred me to their sister concern due to project issues and I worked there for close to 1.5 yrs.

Now I have quit the company and joined another group.But while doing full and final settlement , the company has not released gratuity stating that I have not completed 5 yrs in a particular establishment Now , both group companies have same holding company , however are registered differently and while generating Form 16 have separate TAN as well … Can anyone please help me in this case as I am feeling perplexed what to do in this case.

Asked from: Karnataka

Your company is right and you’re not entitled for the payment of gratuity. The subsequent company is an independent holding and registered in an independent name. Hence, you cannot say that you have worked in the same company. 

Five years service in a company is mandatory for the payment of gratuity. In these circumstances you cannot claim payment of gratuity. Your claim regarding payment of gratuity was refused at the time of final settlement.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender

Question: I am a contractor and have some tenders in BHEL. The Bhel has forfeited earnest money because I have withdrawn a tender. So I want to know whether forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender is legal in India. BHEL has published tenders for the...

Arbitration in respect of non-arbitrable issues

Question: Some tenders were issued during last financial year. Tenders were in respect of fencing and drainage on both sides of the road. The department has allotted those tenders to my company. Company has to conduct a survey of land and demarcate slope angle for the...

Mud road on my land :  How to get it back?

Question: Government has laid a mud road on my land a few years ago. I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to me. We do not know about this. How to get my land back? I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to...

Can mother execute a registered will

Question: Can mother execute a registered will towards the property which she had received from my deceased father? My father died in the year 2021 and he has named my mother as the 100% owner of the existing house in the registered will. I have 4 older brothers and 1...

Appointment of arbitrator under the agreement

Question: My firm is doing business of gravel supply to the government. I want to know whether the appointment of an arbitrator under the agreement is possible? Our firm got a tender from the public works department of Uttar Pradesh. According to the tender agreement...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.