Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law Cases | Government is constructing a public road on my land

Government is constructing a public road on my land

Question: I have my house in the village Of UP. There is a construction of a road under (MPLAD Scheme) in front of my house which is my land. A few of my neighbours are threatening my family for the construction of a public road. I have the documents to prove that the government is illegally constructing that public road on my land. What should I do to stop this?

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

You should lodge a complaint before the Collector for measurement of land over which the government is constructing a public road. The government has no power to construct a public road over the property of a private person. However, the right to  property is not a fundamental right but it is still a constitutional right. Therefore, the government cannot deprive a person from his property without due course of law. 

The government should acquire the land and pay compensation to its owner. You still possess this land. The revenue records are also showing that you are the owner of this land. Government did not acquire your land before constructing this road. 

File a writ petition

If the collector does not stop the construction of this road within a week then you should file a writ petition. Article 226 of the constitution of India empowers the High Court to issue a writ against the state for protecting the rights of citizens. The High Court may issue a writ of mandamus and direct the Collector to immediately stop the ongoing construction of the public road. 

You should produce every document which tends to prove your ownership over the concerned land. Produce certified copy of Khatauni and Map of your land. The collector prepares the record of rights (Khatauni) and Map of the land. He demarcates the lands in possession of the private person. Khatauni reflects the area of land in your possession. You should also produce the copy of the complaint which you have filed to the collector. 

The High Court shall issue a writ upon finding that it is your land and the collector did not take any action on your complaint. Court shall direct the collector to stop the construction and do measurement of land of the petitioner within a stipulated time. If the collector does not take any action then you can move against him a contempt petition.

Lawyer’s advice

Tenant has promised to clear the dues shortly

I rented my house in March 2021 through a rental agreement. Police verification was done at that time but I couldn't collect the same because of being out of Station due to Corona. Now the man of property dealer who had dealt with this case has all of sudden left the...

Ex-employee started business with employer’s clients

My employee started his own business without my consent and he converted my business to his firm. He used all my clients data and relations he built up as my employee for his personal benefit. While he is doing so, he enjoys all benefits like salary allowance. Can I...

Tenant has not been paying rent – Eviction of tenant

My tenant has not been paying rent since November 2019. I am a 68 year old person from Visakhapatnam. I gave my shop on rent to a person for tailoring. He paid the rent for the last time in Aug 2019 through phonepe. From Nov 2019 he stopped paying current bills also....

Tenant owns a house in the same city: Eviction of tenant

Question: Our father had purchased three houses together in a colony, more than 50 years ago. Two on the ground floor, in which we were already living there on rent. And One house is on top of these two houses. A tenant family was on rent, the time we purchased it....

Illegal use of my boundary wall by my neighbor

Question:  There is an Illegal use of my boundary wall by my neighbor. My father built the 6 ft high 5" thick 60 ft long boundary wall before construction of our 2 storied building within my premises in the year 1990-91 when there was a narrow drain and one 3" thick...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.