Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | Government acquiring land on adverse possession

Government acquiring land on adverse possession

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

I am the owner of the land of about 30 acres. My name is mentioned in all the revenue record since the past 50 years. Nashik municipality is trying to acquire my land for construction of shopping mall but does not want to initiate acquisition procedure.

It claims my land to its property on the ground of adverse possession. It claims that the municipality has been in possession on the land from the last 10 years based on a road which was constructed along with my land by the municipality in the year 2004. I have filed a complaint in the office of the collector but he is also reluctant to do anything. Please suggest me any legal procedure to save my land.

According to article 300 A of Indian constitution right to property is a constitutional right and property cannot be taken by the government without following the due process of law. When all the revenue records show that you are the owner of the land then how can a municipality corporation claim your land based on adverse possession?

You must file a writ before the High Court under article 226 of Indian constitution. In Vinayak Vishnu Dhopavkar vs State of Maharashtra AIR 2013 Bombay High Court; it is held by the Bombay High Court that

it would not be proper on the part of the government body or any state authority to take possession of somebody’s land without following due process of law. Even a citizen has permitted his land being used by a government authority, the government authority should not take undue advantage thereof. Government authority must acquire his land after paying compensation under the Land Acquisition Act.

You may file a writ petition based on aforesaid case law because no compensation is given by the government and no procedure under the Land Acquisition Act is followed.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.