Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law Cases | Forfeiture of gratuity without held guilty

Forfeiture of gratuity without held guilty

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

I am a retired government servant. A departmental proceeding was pending at the time of my retirement. Therefore, the competent authority had forfeited my gratuity without holding me guilty of proved misconduct. He presented ambiguous inquiry report which is forthwith admitted by the superior officer.  Thereupon full gratuity is forfeited.

Gratuity is the self-earned income of the employee, so the government has no power to forfeit it without holding me guilty. Is there any provision that concerned authority can forfeit my gratuity without held me guilty?

Question from: Bihar

There is no provision under The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972 which empowers the concerned authority to forfeit gratuity without holding you guilty. Section 4 of the said act unambiguously states that:

“Gratuity shall be payable to an employee on the termination of his employment (after he has rendered continuous service for not less than five years) on his superannuation, or retirement or resignation, or his death or disablement due to accident or disease.”

Furthermore, sub section 6 of the said section 4 states that authority may forfeit gratuity if he terminated the employee on these grounds:

  • On any act, willful omission or negligence causing any damage or loss to, or destruction of, property belonging to the employer.
  • His riotous or disorderly conduct or any other act of violence on his part.
  • For any act which constitutes an offence involving moral turpitude, provided that such offence is committed by him in the course of his employment.

Thus, it is evidence that authority cannot forfeit gratuity except holding the employee guilty for any offence as mentioned above. Disciplinary proceedings were pending at the time of your retirement. Hence, the concerned authority had no authority to forfeit gratuity. Eventually, he is not empowered to automatically forfeit the gratuity.

In Beed District Central Coop. Bank Ltd. v. State of Maharashtra, (2006) 8 SCC 514; Y. K. Singla v. PNB, (2013) 3 SCC 472 and Jaswant Singh Gill v. Bharat Coking Coal Ltd., (2007) 1 SCC 663; the Supreme Court has held that employer can forfeit the gratuity if he convicts the employee for any offence mentioned in subsection 6 of section 4 of The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.

Hence, forfeiture of gratuity without holding you guilty is illegal. Therefore, you should challenge the process of forfeiture before the High Court under article 226 of the Constitution of India. You should file a writ petition before the High Court.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?

Question: Whether Tehsildar is competent authority to issue succession certificate to collect life insurance policy. My father's insurance policy claim is matured and we are the legal heirs to collect that amount. Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?...

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender

Question: I am a contractor and have some tenders in BHEL. The Bhel has forfeited earnest money because I have withdrawn a tender. So I want to know whether forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender is legal in India. BHEL has published tenders for the...

Arbitration in respect of non-arbitrable issues

Question: Some tenders were issued during last financial year. Tenders were in respect of fencing and drainage on both sides of the road. The department has allotted those tenders to my company. Company has to conduct a survey of land and demarcate slope angle for the...

Mud road on my land :  How to get it back?

Question: Government has laid a mud road on my land a few years ago. I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to me. We do not know about this. How to get my land back? I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.