Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Five months delay FIR in rape case

Five months delay FIR in rape case

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: I recently came to know that daughter of my maid has raped. She is twenty three years old and a married woman. Her husband has thrown her out from his home because she is pregnant. Now she has been living with her mother. The offence was committed five months ago. So this would be the five months delay FIR in rape case. Can she lodge an FIR after such a long delay? Husband of my maid is trying to lodge the FIR but still no FIR has been lodged. The accused is her relative and used to come to her home. Accused also knows her husband and they were friends. 

Husband of the victim does not agree to lodge an FIR. Now I want to take action against the accused because he has ruined her life. She said that the accused came to her parental home and gave her some food to eat. After eating the food she became senseless and went into unconscious condition. In that situation he raped her. She did not disclose the incident to anybody until getting pregnant. Sir, please suggest how to lodge an FIR and what will be the consequence of that case?

Question from: Himachal Pradesh

Prima facie the facts of your case infer that prosecutrix (victim) is a consenting party in rape. She might gave her consent for sexual intercourse. Accused is her relative, she is a major and married woman. She did not disclose this incident to anyone until she became pregnant. 

Explanation about delay in lodging FIR

Five months delay is too much time. However, the victim does not lodge prompt FIR in rape case. But there should be some proximity between the offence and lodging of FIR. If you have a proper explanation then you can lodge the FIR even after a delay of five months [Mukesh v. State of Chhattisgarh 2014 AIR SCW 5618].

Satisfactory explanation of delay is mandatory for the prosecution case. Otherwise the accused will get the benefit of doubt. Satisfactory explanation in delay of lodging FIR will rule out the possibility of false implication of accused. This will eventually fortify the case of prosecution [State of H.P v. Shree Kant Shekari AIR 2004 SC 4404]

How to lodge FIR when SHO has refused?

The officer incharge of the police station (SHO) has refused to lodge an FIR. Hence, you should invoke Section 154(3) crpc. You should send the information to the Superintendent of Police (SP) by registered post. The SP has the power to direct his subordinate officer to lodge the FIR and do the investigation.

If the SP does not take any action on your information then you have to approach the Magistrate under Section 156(3) crpc. Section 156(3) crpc empowers the Magistrate to direct the concerned police officer to lodge the FIR and initiate the investigation. This is the procedure of lodging FIR when the SHO has refused to lodge it. However, the police officer cannot refuse to lodge an FIR if information disclosed a cognisable offence. 

Also read: Police officer is bound to register FIR

Consequence of the case

I cannot say anything about the probable consequences of the case. Evidence of the victim about her consent will form the basis of conviction. If she successfully proves that she has not given consent for sexual intercourse then acused may be convicted. 

Victim was in unconscious state of mind at the time of sexual intercourse. It is hard to prove, after five months, that the accused had given intoxicated food to the victim. Incident occurred when no one was present in the house. 

Accused is a relative of the victim, he had smooth access in the victim’s house. All these facts prima facie suggest that victim might have given consent of sexual intercourse. Five months delay in FIR of rape case is also goes against the victim. The accused may get benefit of doubt on the fact of inordinate delay in lodging FIR.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.