Filing of FIR is illegal if dispute has settled in Lok Adalat

by | Aug 19, 2019


Question asked on: 19/08/2019

The electricity board has filed an FIR under Section 135 of the Electricity Act 2003. That FIR was for electricity theft. However, I was guilty of that offence. But the dispute has settled between the parties in the Mega Lok Adalat. I have a copy of the award. What should I do?

Advised by: Mr. Shivendra Pratap Singh, Advocate

That is a compoundable offence under Section 152 of the Electricity Act. After compounding the case, the electricity board cannot file FIR. 

The Lok Adatalt has passed the award in your favour. I don’t know what the terms of the settlement are. Above all, the matter has closed for the parties.

If you disobeyed the award, the board might initiate steps for recovery. The board has filed FIR instead of taking steps under the electricity Act.

In State of Punjab &Anr. Vs Jalour Singh & Ors., (2008) 2 SCC 660; the Supreme Court held that in default of payment, the only remedy is to challenge the award.

This FIR is illegal and unjust because right now, no dispute is surviving. You should question the FIR under section 482 crpc.

Saleem Ahmed vs State and other, SLP (Crl) No.8801 of 2018: the Supreme Court held that-

After full and final satisfaction of the entire claim in Lok Adalat, there was neither any occasion and nor any basis to file FIR.

Hence, you should file a petition under section 482 crpc. The High Court has the power to quash this FIR because it is illegal and filed in abuse of the process of law.

The board has mala-fide intention to extort money from you. Once a dispute has settled no ground left for the criminal case.

In State of Haryana v. Bhajan Lal (1992 Supp.(1) SCC 335) the Supreme Court held:

The court can quash a criminal proceeding where it is manifestly attended with mala fide intention.

The court will stop the proceeding and quash the FIR under section 482 crpc. So you should approach the High Court as soon as possible.

Ask your question

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate, Lucknow

Advice: 18723

Consultation: 3865

Prosecution after retirement

Can a department prosecute to its employees after retirement for his Negligence to fulfil his duties?You did not mention details about your employment and the year of retirement. Generally, every civil service rule has a limitation period for prosecution of the...

Insurance company committed fraud

I am a school teacher in middle school. I took an insurance policy for my two children and my wife. Insurance policy is for medical treatment up to 2 lac in selective hospitals. According to policy it covers all the critical diseases mentioned in policy. Insurance...

Unreasonable delay in civil suit

Sir i am working as inspector in police dept., in 2008 an old lady came with a complaint regarding some property dispute and status quo of shop with her sons, i was in charge of police post at that time, i went on spot and to prevent breach of peace i arrested his son...

Disclosure of information under RTI

Can information under RTI ACT be taken regarding the degrees ,name of the university where one  had been reading ,Roll no. of the university,  photocopies of the Degrees , photocopies of Service Book &ACRs of Government employees, through their public information...

Section 498 A, illicit relationship causes cruelty

My husband used to give me threats to face grave consequences if I disclose his illicit relationship. He has an illegal relationship with some women of easy virtue; therefore, he is giving such threats. I became immensely frustrate out of such threats, therefore,...

quick Advice

Get A Quick Advice

Book an appointment for 15 minutes and consult with an expert over the phone within minutes

Talk to Advocate Shivendra

Book a phone consultation for 30 minutes and get solid advice on the phone

Book it Now