Fell in love with another girl after engagement

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Criminal Law

Reading Time:

Advised on 28 Mar, 2023

Question: Eleven months ago, my parents arranged a marriage with a girl whom I did not like. However, I accepted their choice and we had consensual physical relations twice. Five months ago, I fell in love with another girl with whom I have good compatibility and wish to spend my life with. I have informed my parents of my feelings, but they do not agree, and the girl and her family are threatening to accuse me of physical harassment. The girl is also threatening to commit suicide. I am concerned about being held accountable for rape charges, although both instances of physical relations were consensual. Our thoughts and mindsets do not align, and I cannot compromise my own happiness or ruin her life. What are my options?

Asked from: Bihar

Regarding the girl you are engaged to, it’s important to have an honest conversation with her and her family about your feelings. Continuing a relationship where there is no love or compatibility is unfair to both parties, but it’s essential to approach the situation with sensitivity and respect for her feelings.

Regarding the accusation of rape, the sexual relationship was consensual, and thus, no offense has been committed. In the event of an FIR being filed against you, you can prefer a petition in the high court under Article 226 of the Constitution. As the relationship was consensual, no offense of rape has been made out.

Furthermore, at the time of the relationship, you had not made a false promise of marriage. Therefore, no offense of cheating has been committed. Falling in love with another girl is not an offense. However, it’s important to be honest with the other person and respect their feelings, but you have not committed any offense in this regard.