Legal Advice

False Domestic Violence Case: My Wife’s unwillingness to live with me and baseless claims against my mother


How to get rid of false domestic violence case? My wife has expressed her unwillingness to live with me and has exhibited rude and cruel behaviour towards me. Since the time of our marriage, she has never wished to reside in her matrimonial home. Despite my mother being a widow and providing her with all necessary facilities without any demands. My wife has falsely accused my mother of not extending help with household chores in the domestic violence case.  Not a single sentence in her complaint suggests that she has been subjected to any domestic violence. The issue appears to stem from her problem with my mother, as she has made baseless claims that my mother is lethargic, does not contribute to the household, demands money from me, and unnecessarily expends my earnings.


Upon reviewing your wife’s domestic violence complaint, it appears that the necessary elements under Section 3 are absent. 

Domestic Violence, as defined under Section 3 of the Domestic Violence Act, includes any act that causes harm, injury, or endangers the health, safety, life, limb, or well-being, whether physical or mental, of the aggrieved person. This includes physical abuse, sexual abuse, verbal and emotional abuse, and economic abuse. 

However, the complaint does not mention any instances of physical, emotional, sexual, verbal, or economic abuse. Additionally, the demand for money does not constitute economic abuse. As your mother is a widow, it is your responsibility to care for her and she has the right to claim assistance from her son without committing any offence.

This complaint needs to be quashed. To quash this false and frivolous complaint, it is recommended that you file a petition in the high court under Article 227 of the Constitution of India. The complaint does not disclose any act of domestic violence, and thus, it is liable to be quashed. 

If the complaint lacks the necessary elements of Section 3 of the DV Act, it cannot proceed. The high court may consider quashing the complaint in this case.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.