Legal Advice

Facing a decade of mental abuse: navigating divorce, alimony, and custody battles

Question: My cousin has been in a mentally abusive relationship with her husband for 10 years now,and has terrible in-laws who are ruining her marriage.she has 2 kids.her husband is rich,but irresponsible,immature and insensitive and mentally abusive and was physically abusive too,at times.this has damaged my cousin's sense of well being and she has developed anxiety,hypertension,mental stress.he has kept her away from his home saying that her mother too has to take responsibility of looking after her..he doesn't provide maintenance except for one child's school cousin's mother is looking after a fit of anger,due to hypertension my cousin had used bad language against her husband..this has happened time and he is blackmailing her with those messages to avail divorce and escape alimony and trying to further mentally torture her by snatching away the kids..he has never been a committed father though the kids like cousin though qualified,is a homemaker and is not working..she has little income but it won't suffice for her and her kids as per her lifestyle.there have been some telephonic conversations too where this happened.can she claim alimony if her husband wants to divorce her based on those watsapp chats and phone conversations where she used offensive language after being provoked by him?and what about the kids? she wants peace in life and financial security for herself and kids


In this challenging situation, it’s crucial for your cousin to take several important steps to address her mentally abusive marriage and seek the legal and emotional support she needs. First and foremost, she should consult with a family law attorney who specializes in situations like hers. This attorney will provide her with legal guidance tailored to her unique circumstances, helping her understand her rights and options.

In parallel, it’s essential for your cousin to document everything related to the abuse and threatening messages, as well as any incidents or phone conversations. These records may become valuable evidence when discussing matters of alimony and custody during divorce proceedings.

Addressing the emotional and mental stress she’s experiencing is also vital. Encouraging your cousin to seek therapy or counseling can help her cope with these challenges. Support groups can also provide a valuable outlet for sharing experiences and receiving advice from others who have faced similar situations.

If both parties are willing to cooperate, mediation can be an alternative approach to resolving divorce and custody matters, aiming to reduce the adversarial nature of the process.

Child custody considerations must prioritize the best interests of the children. Your cousin should openly discuss her concerns about the well-being of her kids with her attorney, who can help determine the most appropriate course of action.

Alimony eligibility is a complex matter that varies by jurisdiction and depends on factors like the length of the marriage, financial circumstances of both spouses, and their behavior. Your cousin should discuss her specific situation with her attorney to understand her potential eligibility for alimony.

In cases where your cousin feels her safety is at risk, obtaining a restraining order or protective order should be considered, and she should consult her attorney for guidance on this matter.

Lastly, discussing financial planning for her and her children’s stability is crucial. An attorney can assist your cousin in exploring various options for achieving financial security during and after the divorce proceedings. Ultimately, it’s essential that your cousin seeks professional legal advice customized to her unique situation. Her attorney will be her best source of guidance and support throughout this challenging process.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.

Alleged Forgery and Misrepresentation: Discrepancies in BPCL Petrol Pump’s Diesel Storage Reported to PESO

Petroleum & Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO) issues license to Bharat Petroleum Corporation’s petrol pumps for storage of Petrol/Diesel. A petrol pump of BPCL illegally filled diesel in a tanker beyond the permissible limits for which a complaint was lodged by me with PESO. PESO asked for an explanation. In its reply, the BPCL officer under reported the quantity of diesel filled in the tanker and in support of his claim, submitted a forged sales data which was prepared after deleting sales entries from the computerised records. The fact that the sales data was forged was brought to the notice of PESO by me after PESO shared BPCL’s reply with me. PESO again questioned BPCL to which they confirmed that their dealer had deleted entries from the data. Subsequently, PESO has written to the police to take action under the Petroleum Act according to which the offence is bailable whereas I am asking PESO to file an FIR since forgery of data, preparation of a false document and its use as a genuine one is a serious offence under the IPC. The PESO officer refuses to do so. Is he right in not filing an FIR ? Am I unjustified in demanding an FIR in the matter ?