Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Executive magistrate passed order under section 145 crpc however dispute has decided by the civil court

Executive magistrate passed order under section 145 crpc however dispute has decided by the civil court

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

My father built one house. After his death, some disputes arose between sons. My elder brother filed a civil suit for partition of the house. The decree has passed in my favour, but its execution is still pending.

He is trying to dispossess me from the house and also wants to stop the execution of that decree. Therefore, approached the executive magistrate and moved an application under section 145 crpc. The magistrate has passed that order without giving me an opportunity of hearing. This is indeed the violation of natural justice. What should I do?

The Executive Magistrate has no power to determine the title dispute under section 145 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC). The civil court has exclusive authority to adjudicate the dispute in respect of the title of the property. Hence, the order passed under section 145 is null and void.

As you said that the title has already decided by the competent civil court. The civil court has passed the decree in your favour. Being a decree-holder, you should approach the court for its execution. When you defeated your brother in the civil suit, then he initiated this proceeding to dispossessed you from the property.

The legislature enacted section 145 with a particular purpose to maintain peace and tranquillity, which is being disturbed by the property dispute. Interference of Magistrate is necessary to protect the interest of the genuine party. The person in possession of the land has first-hand right to retain his possession until the final judgment of the competent civil court. Hence the Magistrate cannot dispossess a person in whose favour a decree has passed.

The order is null and void

As far as the case is concerned, this order is null and void and it has no legal force. Firstly the Magistrate has transcended his power and did not act in a bona-fide manner. Therefore, this order is ultra-vires.

Secondly, he did not give you an opportunity of hearing. Thus he violated the principle of natural justice. Every executive order must follow the principle of natural justice. The magistrate is bound to hear all the parties before passing any order.

File a revision

In this situation, you should file a revision petition before the Court of Sessions. The revisional court shall appreciate the evidence produced before the Magistrate. The court shall set aside the order if it finds that the Magistrate has encroached its jurisdiction.

The magistrate did not consider the fact that the opposite party is also in lawful possession. He is also a decree-holder in respect of the disputed property. If a competent civil court has finally decided the dispute, then afterwards Magistrate cannot interfere therein.

A decree holder should not dispossess from the property

Generally, the dispute arises about the title, ownership and possession of the property. Only a competent civil court has the power to decide that dispute because it affects the civil right of the parties. Section 145 provides a temporary remedy in such cases by maintaining the status quo until the final adjudication passed by the competent court.

Section 145 of the code of criminal procedure is one of the preventive measures. This section should not be invoked to decide the rights and titles of parties.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid? 

Question: Prosecution sanction by competent authority is granted after lapse of stipulated period mandated and specified under Section 19 of the P. C. amendment act 2018. Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid?  Whether the sanction is valid or...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CDR?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.