Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Ex-boyfriend sending obscene messages to my husband

Ex-boyfriend sending obscene messages to my husband

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My ex-boyfriend is sending obscene messages to my husband. Those messages contain pronographic photos and videos. Majority of those photos are photo shop. My husband however, showing faith in me but I want to take legal action against my ex-boyfriend. He wants to ruin my married life therefore, inducing my husband through those messages. Whether sending obscene messages constitute offence? If yes, please tell me in which section I can prosecute him?

Question from: Tamil Nadu

Sending obscene messages is an offence punishable under under Section 67 of the Information and Technology Act 2008. Section 67 of IT Act punishes the transmission or publication of lascivious material in electronic form. This offence is punishable with imprisonment for a term of three years. The court may also impose fine up to five lakh rupees.

You can take legal action against your ex-boyfriend for sending obscene messages. All the ingredients of  section 67 are meeting in your case. Most of those photographs are pronographic materials. They tend to deprave or corrupt the mind of persons who read or see them. The photoshop images prove that he has the intention to harm your reputation. His criminal intention is thus proving from those messages.

Sending obscene or lascivious material in electronic form

You have evidence to prove that he has sent obscene messages. Therefore, you should lodge a first information report (FIR) against your ex-boyfriend. He has the intention to harm your reputation therefore, sent doctored photos and videos. Making such an imputation is sufficient to initiate criminal proceedings against him. 

The prosecution will survive on obscenity of material and transmitting them in electronic form. These two things are decisive in your case. Both are existing in your case and they are sufficiently proving your ex-boyfriend’s culpability. The pronographic photo, video, caricature itself proves that it is obscene and the court does not take expert opinion in this matter. 

Also read: Sending offensive message is also a crime under IT Act

Those obscene messages are vital for the prosecution

Those messages are material evidence. Therefore, storing or keeping electronic material in its original form is mandatory for the prosecution. The prosecution case will sustain on the originality or authenticity of electronic evidence. Those photos and videos are electronic evidence under section 65B of the Indian Evidence Act.

Thus, it becomes compulsory for you to retain those messages in the mobile phone. Keep them safe until you submit them before the court. There is a separate procedure for producing electronic evidence.

Also read: How to produce electronic evidence

Primary evidence is the best evidence. Prosecution always try to prove the guilt through the primary evidence. When you produce the mobile phone to prove transmission of obscene messages, the court will not ask you to furnish any affidavit or certificate to prove authenticity of those messages.

In Shafhi Mohammad v. State of Himachal Pradesh, (2018) 2 SCC 801. The Court further clarified that the required certificate under Section 65B(4) is unnecessary if the original document itself is produced. 

Your ex-boyfriend has sent obscene messages on your husband’s mobile phone. Tell your husband to retain them in his mobile phone. His mobile phone will prove the authenticity of those messages without any certificate.

Prepare secondary evidence of those obscene messages

You should prepare a secondary evidence of those obscene photos and videos. Don’t rely on mobile storage. If mobile data is destroyed or in any way corrupt then you cannot prove that your ex-boyfriend was sending obscene messages to your husband. The secondary evidence along with certificate is also admissible under section 65B of Evidence Act.

In Anvar P. V. vs P. K. Basheer, (2014) 10 SCC 473 the Supreme Court has held that electronic record by way of secondary evidence shall not be admissible as evidence unless the requirements of Section 65-B are satisfied.

You have sufficient evidence to prove the crime of your ex-boyfriend. Hence, you should initiate criminal proceeding against him. Your ex-boyfriend has sent obscene messages thereby committing an offence under section 67 IT Act. There is no legal impediment in your case. The court will thus convict your ex-boyfriend under section 67 IT Act.

Also read: My boyfriend harassing me.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.