Paid Advise

Dowry death does not made out if the death is natural

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Criminal Law

Reading Time:

My wife died of a snake bite. We are living in a village, and there is no medical facility. When the snake bit my wife, we took her to the town for medical treatment, but she died in the way. We did not report the incident to the police but informed the parents of my wife. Her parents were present in the funeral without any doubt towards the cause of death.

But after one month my father in law registered an FIR against my parents and me under section 304B & 498A of IPC and section 3/4/6 of the dowry prohibition act. The magistrate has framed charges against us under the sections mentioned above and me. No postmortem conducted, and there was no dispute about the cause of death. But the magistrate has framed charges and trial is about to start. What should I do?

Your father in law lodged FIR after one month of the incident. You said that postmortem not conducted on the deceased and parents of your wife was present at the time of the funeral. As per the facts of the case, the death caused due to snake venom. You have cremated the dead body in the presence of the informant, i.e. your father in law.

Delayed FIR

The informant did not raise any objection about the cause of death when he was present at the funeral. After a month he filed an FIR under Section 304B/498A IPC, Section 3/4/6/ of DP Act. He has to place some evidence to prove the demand for dowry, cruelty and evidence of unnatural death. At the same time, the informant must explain the delay in filing the FIR.

In the absence of proper explanation about the delay, the FIR seems to be doubtful. There is to direct evidence about the cause of death; therefore, the whole case is based upon circumstances. The circumstances of your case are proving that the death was natural; however, there was an incident of cruelty. If the death is non-homicidal, no offence made out under section 304 B of the Indian Penal Code.

No proof of homicidal death

I don’t know what kind of evidence collected during the investigation, but at the time of framing of charges, the ingredients of the offence must be in existence. When the informant did not raise any objection when he attended the funeral of the deceased, his conduct proves that the death was not homicidal.

No postmortem report

In the absence of a postmortem report, the court cannot presume that the death was unnatural only on the oral statement of witnesses. Section 304 B of the IPC requires that the death should occur otherwise than under normal circumstances. Without proving this fact, a criminal proceeding cannot sustain for the offence of dowry death.

File discharge application

In the current situation, you should file a discharge application before the court. When ingredients of the offence are missing the court cannot frame charges against accused. If the court rejects your application thereupon you should prefer a petition before the high court under section 482 of the code of criminal procedure.


shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Quashing of first information report (FIR)

Question: I want the quashing of the first information report (FIR). A false first information report FIR has been lodged against me by the university. There are three students who are working on a project in association with me. I am the senior most of them hence,...

Threatening woman on revealing the truth to family 

Question: A man is threatening a woman on revealing the truth to her family. I'm a husband. I'm writing this for my wife. She had an affair with a person and she also helped him with money in his difficult time without informing me. Few days back she apologised...

In 498A, will my family get arrested?

Question: In 498A, will my family get arrested? My wife has filed a false case against my family. She wanted to marry her friend but due to pressure from her father she married me. There is no fault from my side but due to the whim of my wife my family is facing...

Can I file a complaint against the family court?

Question: Can I file a complaint against the family court? Asked from: Kerala You can file a complaint against the sitting subordinate court judge for his misconduct or dishonest conduct in dealing lawsuits. But you must have credible and clinching evidence to prove...

Section 383 Indian Penal Code: Extortion

Section 383: Extortion Whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishonestly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property or valuable security or anything signed or sealed which...

My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend 

Question: My sister was in a relationship for 7 yrs and after that she decided to part ways with boyfriend due to some issues. My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend. She was informed this in 2020 and after that asked him not to contact him. He visited...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.