Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Dowry death committed in matrimonial home

Dowry death committed in matrimonial home

Estimated Reading Time:

My sister is married in last year. His husband is an engineer and living in Bangalore. We have given Rs 20 lakh as dowry at the time of marriage. My sister was very jolly and well educated and also an engineer working at Pune. Just after the marriage, her father-in-law started the demand for more dowry for buying a flat in Bangalore.

Her father-in-law is a senior IAS of U.P. He always shows his official and political approach to dominate us. Whenever we visit my sister’s in-law’s home his father and mother-in-law used to humiliate us in the manner to feel us a miser family. My father is a chief engineer in power corporation.

On 12 August, on the birthday of my sister, he informed us that your daughter found dead in her bedroom and they are going to cremate her. Probably cause of death is heart attack so if you want to see her dead body you may attain her funeral. 

She was lying at the entrance of her bedroom and we noticed a ligature mark on the neck of my sister, thereafter we went to the police station to lodge an FIR under section 302/306/304 B/ 498 A IPC and section 3/4 DP Act. What would be the next course of action and what her father-in-law can do to protect his family?

All the sections mentioned in FIR are constituting commission of the cognizable offence. Police are bound to initiate an investigation without the permission of the court. However deceased’s father-in-law is an IAS officer so he may influence the investigation. But you should be borne in mind that court is not bound to accept findings of investigation submitted by the police under section 173 of CRPC.

If you find that final report submitted by the police under section 173 of CRPC is manipulated by someone and that report is accepted by the court then you have right to file protest petition before the same court.

In Arun Bhandari vs State of U.P. 2013 SCC: when investigating Officer, after completing the investigation, submitted the final report stating that the case was civil and no criminal offence had been made out. In this situation, the informant of FIR may file a protest petition before the learned Magistrate.

The court may take that protest petition as a complaint from the informant and pass appropriate order after application of his judicial mind. The court may return or reject the final report of the police and may order for re-investigation of the case. On reject of the protest petition, you may file an appeal before the court of sessions.

In Manojbhai Bhagwandas Shah vs State Of Gujarat AIR 2001: on submission of the final report, the court may issue a notice to the informant of FIR for filing of the protest petition. If informant does not want to file such petition then the court, it finds that further investigation is needed because of the manipulation of the final report, may take cognizance of the case under section 190 CRPC and direct for further investigation.

But at this time investigation is conducted by police so you should collect some evidence regarding the case and state your version before the investigating officer (IO). IO may record all the statements of the witness which is relevant to the case. Section 161 of CRPC empowers the IO to record such statements. Charge sheet or final report will be based on the collection of evidence by the police during the investigation.

Your case is immature for any order from the court regarding the investigation. Court has limited power regarding the investigation and the court cannot interfere in the investigation. The court may pass appropriate order after filing of a police report under section 173 CRPC.

He may manipulate the investigation or destroy some evidence but ultimately justice will be done. Today courts are so strict in offences against woman and especially in dowry death cases. If some concrete evidence comes before the court then the court may pronounce judgment on them. Even statement recorded in examination in chief is sufficient if it is corroborated with some other evidence. The burden to prove innocence is on the accused because death is committed in their home and some injuries also found in the deceased body. Which needs to be explained in the trial.

Latest Advice

My neighbour stares at me and my sister: What should I do?

My neighbours built the house recently. His balcony covers half of the road and standing on the balcony he stares at me and my sister. Most of the time we stay inside home, if we go out to buy vegetables, he comes and keeps on staring. He throws cigarette pieces at my home. Difficult to live in my own house.
How to deal with this issue? Old granny at home and I don’t have anyone to support. Since I’m a girl I should not raise my voice.

I want divorce because my wife is a characterless lady

My wife has illegal relations which I did not know at the time of marriage. She is a characterless lady so I want divorce. I got married in 2008, and my marriage life is still very good till Dec 2019. In Dec 2019 I found that my wife has been characterless for so many...

Boyfriend is playing victim card and blackmailing me

Boyfriend is playing the victim card and blackmailing me to shut my mouth and stop claiming marriage. My boyfriend promised me he will marry I said no cuz I have no control over my anger bt he said he will manage then he ask for physical just cuz he will marry I said...

Embezzlement of paid electricity bills

Complaints regarding embezzlement of paid electricity bills were made by consumers in the division office of the electricity board against lower class employees. Statements of consumers were recorded in the division office. After that an FIR was lodged against the...

Contradiction in dying declaration : chances of conviction

Question: My brother is accused in a murder case. He is innocent but the police have falsely implicated him in this case. The dying declaration of the deceased does not support his role in the murder of Ramnaresh Kushwaha. There is a contradiction in the dying...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.