Legal Advice

Domestic violence case: wife refuses to allow husband’s second wife to reside in property gifted by father


My father gifted this house to me after my marriage. This house is registered in my name and I'm the sole owner. My husband also lives with me in this house. He has an illicit relationship with another woman and clandestinely married her. That lady also wants to live with us in my house. I am refusing and resisting to bring that lady in my house. My husband does not want to leave this house and also does not want to give divorce. When that lady came to know that I am resisting her entry in my house she has filed a domestic violence complaint. The magistrate has a residential order thereby directing me to provide a portion of house to her for living. My advocate says that I have to file a writ petition because the Magistrate has no power to grant such a relief. Please give me some advice.


You cannot file a writ petition in the high court against the said order because you have an efficacious remedy under the Domestic Violence Act. Section 29 of the Domestic Violence Act provides a right to appeal against the order of Magistrate. You should file an appeal in the sessions court. 

If the aggrieved person has a remedy in the subordinate court he cannot approach the high court in writ jurisdiction without exhausting that remedy. The high court shall not entertain your writ petition and may dismiss it at the stage of admission. 

The second wife (aggrieved person) never stayed in your home. Therefore, she cannot claim that it is her shared household. According to Section 2(s) of the Domestic Violence Act, it is mandatory for claiming residence order that the aggrieved person must live in that house or at any stage has lived in a domestic relationship either singly or along with the respondent.

As the second wife never lived in your house, it cannot be considered a shared household under the Domestic Violence Act, and she has no right to claim any residential relief in regards to your property. It would be more appropriate to file an appeal instead of a writ petition in this case. The appellate court may admit your appeal and potentially set aside this order.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.