Home | Legal Advice | Family Law Advice | Divorce within one year of marriage: Is it possible?

Divorce within one year of marriage: Is it possible?

Question: My husband is planning to settle in the USA and I want to stay in Bangalore. Therefore, we want to file a mutual consent divorce because we have decided to live separately. Can we file mutual consent divorce within one year of marriage? Our parents do not agree for divorce because our marriage is only six months old. My husband has been selected in a multinational company on a very high salary. His future is very bright in the USA hence, he does not like to live in India. Whereas, my parents are very old and I’m the only child. They cannot go to the USA with us and I’m working in PWC Bangalore. My salary is enough to live a good life with my parents in Bangalore. Sir, please suggest how we can take mutual divorce within one year of marriage?
advocate shivendra

Shivendra Singh


High Court Lucknow

Reading Time:

The spouses can take divorce by mutual consent under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955. These are the essential elements for mutual consent divorce.

  • Spouses have been living separately for a period of one year or more. 
  • They have not been able to live together. 
  • They have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

Thus, separation between husband and wife for more than one year is mandatory for the mutual consent divorce. Your marriage is only six months old and you are living together. Section 14 prohibits filing divorce petition within one year of marriage. 

Divorce within one year of marriage

Section 14 of the Hindu Marriage Act mandates that any petition for dissolution of marriage is not maintainable within one year of marriage. Furthermore, section 14 says that in exceptional hardship, a divorce petition within one year of marriage is maintainable. 

Therefore, you cannot file divorce petition within six months of marriage unless there is any exceptional hardship. Without proving the exceptional hardship the court will dismiss your divorce petition [Ragini Devi vs Mukesh Kumar 2015 Patna HC.]

Exceptional hardship

Exceptional hardship or exceptional depravity is the ground to seek leave of the court for filing a divorce petition within one year of marriage. These are some examples which constitute exceptional hardship:

  • Desertion from husband or wife from the very first day of marriage.
  • Cruel behaviour of the wife to such an extent which makes that husband cannot live with her.
  • Severe mental tourture by the husband or wife.
  • Unusual behavior and arrogance 

If exceptional hardship exists you can seek a leave of the court to file divorce petition. In G. Ganesh Babu Vs. A.P Arthi 2013 (2) CTC 320; the High Court has held that on the leave of the court spouse can file divorce petition within one year of marriage. The court will grant leave to divorce petition if there is an exceptional hardship. 

No exceptional depravity exists in your case hence, you cannot approach the Family Court for filing a divorce petition. Mutual consent diovrce is also not possible because you have been living together. Ingredients of Section 13-B are lacking in your case. So it is better to change your idea to take mutual consent divorce within one year or marriage.

Recent Advise

I constructed my house on the written permission of NHAI : How to protect its demolition?

As per Karnataka state government laws building to be constructed 40 metre away from the centre line of national highway’s road. When we approached the NHAI, engineer provided conditional approval about building construction. He took written statements saying that the owner will not receive compensation for demolition of his building if the NHAI would demolish his building during road widening. We started building construction after getting approval from NHAI. Now the Karnataka high court bench has upheld the government’s law about 40 metre. The court has directed the authority to take action. Could you please guide how we can proceed now.

An agreement to sale holder has dispossessed me forcefully

I bought the immovable property through a registered sale deed. Before purchasing the immovable property the seller made an unregistered sale agreement with another one and gave him the possession of the property. But later on the person who made a sale agreement did not act as per sale agreement. So the original owner of the property sent him a notice for cancellation of the sale agreement. After that I purchased the said property through the registered sale deed and I took possession of the said property. Now that unregistered sale agreement holder files a suit under specific performance and forcefully took the possession of said property. Now matter is pending in court so my question is whether I can lodge the FIR against the unregistered sale agreement person for trespass offence?

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.