Home | Legal Advice | Divorce Cases | Divorce on abnormal behaviour of my wife

Divorce on abnormal behaviour of my wife

My wife’s abnormal behavior causes much trauma. I want divorce on the basis of abnormal behavior of my wife. Sometimes being good and sometimes threatening me by saying she will suicide.  She had suicide attempts twice. And discharged from hospital. Only message conversation proof is there. No real proof. My old parents should not come home. She will never talk with them. So they are not staying with me. If I ask this, she will do suicide attempt. I want to apply divorce. If I apply any chance  to win. How to proceed.  Pls help. I work in mysore.

Question from: Karnataka

Threatening and attempting to suicide constitute mental cruelty. Cruelty either mental or physical is a ground of divorce under section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act. Threatenings injure the reputation of the husband and it is an offence of criminal intimidation. Husband can initiate criminal proceedings against the wife. 

So far as matrimonial obligation is concerned, the wife should perform her matrimonial duties and maintain the peace in the home. When she willfully creates violence through giving treats to commit suicide or attemptes suicide she does not deserve to live with her husband. 

Therefore, section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act (HMA) enumerates cruelty as a ground of divorce. Husband can seek divorce on the ground of thretenings and attempting suicide. Exchange of messages are sufficient to prove guilt of your wife. If she admitted her attempt to suicide in those messages then you can use them as a piece of evidence. 

File a divorce case

You should file a civil suit under section 13 of the HMA for the divorce. Your had the intention to create a pressure upon you or any other ill motive therefore, she threatens to commit suicide. If she failed to achieve expected result then she attempted suicide. In both conditions she is guilty of cruelty. 

Her acts lead to the fear that you may be booked under dowry prohibition act, domestic violence act or any other criminal case e.g. 304-B/498-A IPC. This constant fear in your mind compels you to live in the shadow of psychological trauma or fear of false criminal cases. This fear constitutes cruelty hence, you can seek divorce. 

Your case is strong and you can easily get divorce. Her messages will prove her conduct of attempt to suicide. You can use it as her admission and it will be hard for her to deny those messages. Hence, those messages are sufficient to establish your case.

Lawyer’s advice

Maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage

Question: I want to know whether maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage is possible. I got married on 20 Nov 2019. Now we want to get separated by mutual consent. My wife is a B. Tech. & MBA but did not make any serious attempt to get a job. At...

My mother-in-law is harassing me for getting my salary

Question: My mother-in-law is harassing me for getting my salary. She is a very cruel lady and very greedy. I am working as a bank manager in ICICI Bank and my husband is a software engineer. My husband is lower than my salary therefore my mother in law is demanding...

Can I live in relationship with a married person?

Question: Can I live in a relationship with a married person who does not live with his wife? I love him a lot. Actually, we were wet on a dating website. I want to know whether our relationship will be valid? Can I enforce those rights available to married...

Wife quarrels with my mother: Can I get divorce on cruelty?

Question: We married 12 years ago and we have a 10 years old son. Our marital relationship is not good and my wife quarrels with my mother. She wants my mother don't stay with us. During the quarrel she spoke awkward words, abused, and raised hand on me.  One day she...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.