Legal Advice

Dishonour of security cheque is no offence under N I Act

Question: I gave a loan to my friend because he was facing some financial hardship. At the same time, he gave me a security cheque. That security cheque was bearing the equal amount of loan because he intended to secure the loan. However, I was quite sure that he will repay the loan within 2 months but unfortunately, he failed to do so.  Thereafter, I made some query regarding the repayment of the loan. He told me to encash the security cheque and after receiving his assurance, I presented that cheque in the bank. The bank informed me that he has dishonoured the cheque. I sent him a demand notice to pay the loan amount but he did not reply. After receiving no response from him, I have filed a complaint against him. At the trial, he pleaded that it was a security cheque, therefore, he stopped that cheque. He said that no offence is made out under section 138 NI act. Is he right? What the law towards security cheque?


Your friend has committed an act of cheque dishonour by instructing the bank to stop the payment, which proves that he was aware of the cheque’s presentation and intentionally dishonoured it. This indicates that he does not intend to fulfil his liability.

A security cheque is a cheque issued as collateral security in a commercial transaction, which is not meant for encashment. However, in this case, your friend cannot claim that the cheque was a security cheque since he was already in debt when he issued it to you, indicating that it was issued in discharge of his debt.

As per Section 139 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, there is a presumption of discharge of debt or liability in your favour. It is presumed that you received the cheque in discharge of your friend’s debt, and the burden of proof now lies upon your friend to prove that it was a security cheque.

Security cheque

A cheque that is issued as collateral security is known as a security cheque. Collateral security refers to an asset that a borrower provides to a lender as a guarantee to be sold in case of failure to repay the loan.

In commercial transactions, a cheque can be used as collateral security, but it cannot be encashed because it is not intended to discharge a debt or liability.

Your friend has committed offence under section 138 NI Act

The dishonour of a cheque is considered an offence only when it is issued in discharge of debt or liability. In this case, your friend cannot deny that he was indebted at the time of issuing the cheque to you. Therefore, he issued the cheque to discharge his debt.

As per the Supreme Court in the case of P. Venugopal vs Madan P. Sarathi, (2009) 1 SCC, if a cheque is issued partly in discharge of liability or debt, then it is not considered a security cheque. If such a cheque is dishonoured, it shall constitute an offence under section 138 of the NI Act.

In your case, all the ingredients of section 138 NI Act are present. You can prove your case on the grounds that your friend took a loan from you, he issued the cheque to discharge the debt, the debt existed at the time of issuance of the cheque, he intentionally stopped the payment of the cheque, and you received no response from him against the demand notice.

The presumption of debt also lies in your favour, and your friend has to rebut that presumption by providing evidence that it was a security cheque. However, in the current circumstances, he cannot deny the loan. Thus, he cannot prove that the alleged cheque is a security cheque.

Therefore, his plea of the security cheque is false and frivolous, and you have enough evidence to prove that he has dishonoured the cheque.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.