Paid Advise

Disciplinary authority is bound to furnish the report of inquiry officer before inflicting punishment

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: The department has initiated a departmental inquiry against me for committing false entries in the log book. No charge sheet, evidence, report of inquiry officer and materials had served to me before inflicting punishment. I want to know whether the disciplinary authority is bound to furnish the report of the inquiry officer before inflicting punishment?

My superior officer had seized the log book and all relevant files before sending a complaint against me. I have been on suspension since october 2013 without a subsistence allowance. My family is living in vegarancy. Recently the department has lodged a first information report against me. How could I save me and my family?

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

Prima facie the entire departmental enquiry is illegal and perverse. The disciplinary authority did not afford you an opportunity of hearing. It is the legal duty of the disciplinary officer to furnish the report of the inquiry officer to the delinquent officer before punishing him.

Report of inquiry officer

You have the right to know about the charges levelled against you. Furnishing the findings of the inquiry report is the only medium to convey the charged employee about the charges levelled against him. Inquiry report conveys the information to the delinquent employee:

  • What incriminating materials have collected during the inquiry
  • Name of witnesses who prove the charges
  • Nature of evidence found against you   
  • Foundation of charges 

In Avtar Singh vs Inspector General of Police Punjab 1968 Serv. LR (SC) the Supreme Court has held that a delinquent officer has the constitutional right to know the findings of the inquiry officer.

The Supreme Court further held that every public servant is entitled to have the whole of the matter brought to his notice before he was asked to show cause why particular punishment should not be meted out to him.

Therefore, not furnishing the inquiry officer’s report has rendered the entire proceeding illegal. It also violates the principle of natural justice. Furnishing the report of the inquiry officer ensures fairness in proceeding. It also empowers the delinquent officer to request the disciplinary authority to remove or change the inquiry officer if he is discharging his duty illegally. 

You should file a writ petition in the High Court under Article 226 of the constitution of India. The High Court may quash the entire proceeding along with the punishment order. You can submit a representation to the disciplinary authority and seek reinstatement along with consequential benefits.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case

Question: I want to know whether reinstatement after the acquittal in a criminal case is possible. Some imported clothings was seized during the search operation. Those goods were kept in the godown operating under the control of the state government. After a few days...

Departmental inquiry can be initiated after FIR

Question: Departmental inquiry has been initiated against me after the recording of FIR. That FIR is false and frivolous because it is very much influenced by the political vendetta. Since I am a General Manager (Project) and have issued several contracts to the...

Order of dismissal without giving any reason

Question: I have been dismissed on the oral complaint but nowhere that complaint is mentioned in the dismissal order. That order of dismissal was passed without giving any reason. The departmental inquiry is initiated without recording formal complaint and information...

Reduction of age criteria in bank examination

Question: Sir, recently the State Bank of India released notification for clerical posts. Till now for the age criteria the reference month is April, but this time without prior notice they've changed it to August. This will make many candidates who are born prior to...

Withholding of salary without any reason

Question: I've been on an unpaid service for last 3 months, progressing into 4th, purely on frivolous grounds, at the whims of accounting unit head,  without following due process of law, as laid down in Central Civil Services (Conduct) rules, without any...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.